My pursuit of the perfect Electronics Enclosure

jrsteensen

My pursuit of the perfect Electronics Enclosure

Post by jrsteensen » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:19 am

So I was daydreaming, and got a handful of connectors and misc electronics parts from work, which made me think I needed something to put them in.

So I jumped the shark and decided to design the perfect "industrial" Shapeoko control package with the electronics that I pretty much already have.

I am still firmly in the design phase. I have attached two 3D PDFs - one with the full chassis, and the second has the lid and side panels hidden so you can see the goodies inside.

There is a ton I still have to do - I have to:
  • figure out the electrical connections for the teensy++2.0 using Generic HID to interface the switches, LEDs in the buttons, and the two relays for AUX A and AUX B.
  • do the legends for the rear panel
  • Add the fans to my power interconnects
  • design all cables
  • and buy a 19" rack.
I am planning on putting my CNC PC into a 3U or 4U enclosure as well. Wondering if I should try to find a keyboard tray and rack monitor to complete the look. A small toolbox or drawers in the rack would be nice as well.

jrsteensen

Re: My pursuit of the perfect Electronics Enclosure

Post by jrsteensen » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:34 pm

And I was told the 3D PDFs weren't working for quite a few people, so, here's pretty pictures...

My biggest problem with some of this is mounting the main control board (the big blue one) - It is a Chinese 5 axis CNC controller, that only has the 4 mounting holes on the board. the heaviest components are dead centerline horizontally across the board. It sags in the middle when mounted to standoffs. So, I added a piece of non-conductive high temp rubber (6" square) under the PCB to help support it. Couldn't think of any other cheap ideas to safely support it and keep it from shorting.

I would really appreciate anyone's input on any portion of this enclosure.

PsyKo

Post by PsyKo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:05 pm

This enclosure looks amazing !

Any idea of the final cost of all this ? Excluding the 5 axis board ?
What kind of spindle will you be using ?

In order to support your board I guess you can machine some kind of X shaped non-conductive object. It will be supported on each arm on the screw. You sometimes see that on CPU fans.
Shapeoko #736
Kress 800, Z Axis upgrade, dual Y, 600mm X&Y rails, metal spacers and V Wheels, home switches, 4th axis
Goko - Free CNC Control Software - http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 380#p44380

jrsteensen

Post by jrsteensen » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:48 pm

PsyKo wrote:This enclosure looks amazing !

Any idea of the final cost of all this ? Excluding the 5 axis board ?
What kind of spindle will you be using ?

In order to support your board I guess you can machine some kind of X shaped non-conductive object. It will be supported on each arm on the screw. You sometimes see that on CPU fans.
Not much. We get a ton of freebies/samples from suppliers at work. I'm guessing about 300 at this point.

But, now I'm considering eliminating 2/3s of the front panel and going with a wireless low cost pendant with more functionality, and direct DRO from Mach3. USB interfacing. Once I complete it and build it, I'll make my assembly and BOM publicly available.

jrsteensen

Post by jrsteensen » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:10 am

Anybody know where I can get a IP67 rated DB25 passthrough Male to female, with the male side sticking out the panel?

They seem to be as rare as hens teeth.

Almost to the point of designing cables. Woo.

jrsteensen

Post by jrsteensen » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:03 am

Working on my digital interconnect diagram, and the one thing I'm feeling rather uninspired on is on the Teensy, I need 18 wires tied to the single GND pin. What is the best way to handle that in your opinion?

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:06 pm

What you need is a grounding bussbar.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

jrsteensen

Post by jrsteensen » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:44 pm

Improbable Construct wrote:What you need is a grounding bussbar.
All I can find is huge AC ones. Would you happen to have a link to something more appropriate? (IE, size constrained?)

forgottenCNC

Post by forgottenCNC » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:23 am

I would go with DIN rail terminal blocks, you can link as many or as little you like and come in different colors/sizes e.g Green/Yellow for earth. They are used a lot in indusial installations and all you have to do is cut some DIN rail to size to fit with in the case, once the rail is cut the blocks clip on and can be bridged together.

Here’s a link to DIN rail stuff so you can get an idea what I’m talking about, this stuff can be found at a electrical wholesaler too.
http://au.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?N=1305116

Earth examples terminal block. (this one has 4 connection points, it's width is 6.2mm so... 6.2 x 5 = 31mm width in total)
http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Phoe ... GwYV6Lk%3d

Don’t forget the Bridge, Some clip-in and some screw-in (it depends on the manufacture of the terminal block)
http://au.mouser.com/Connectors/Termina ... lpZ1yzxjbw

On a saftey note: DON'T forget to earth the 19"rack case too, you don't wont to kill anyone with mains power if there is a fault.