Dual Y axis motors - is grbl a roadblock?

lasershark1

Dual Y axis motors - is grbl a roadblock?

Post by lasershark1 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:45 am

Just brainstorming - could be way off base. I was just reading up on grbl to see it's limitations and ability to be customized, and I noticed it specifically said that grbl is 3 axis only.

Is it possible to control two Y-axis steppers with grbl? How would you tell grbl to send the Y axis control pulses to both motors?

Just forward thinking about my setup. I bought an extra NEMA23 today for the other Y axis motor, but I'm now leaning towards the drive shaft idea.

Thoughts?

lasershark1

Re: Dual Y axis motors - is grbl a roadblock?

Post by lasershark1 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:20 am

Nope. Just did some googling and it seems you connect both drivers to the same arduino output.

Which might be ab issue with a 4-driver shield, you'd need to rewire it maybe?

Anyway, grbl isnt the roadblock there.

I'll still likely go with the driveshaft idea though. NEMA23's with 120oz/in of torque should be more than enough power to run the driveshaft.

sea2stars

Post by sea2stars » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:27 am

You don't have to tell grbl anything, the same signal gets sent to both steppers.

With the Buildlog shield you use jumpers to map the 4th driver as a clone of the y axis.

The TinyG has the same capability.

lasershark1

Post by lasershark1 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:39 am

Aah cool. Tho the buildlog one is out of stock, and the TinyG is, well, beta-ish and expensive :)

sandro

Post by sandro » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:54 am

lasershark1 wrote:Aah cool. Tho the buildlog one is out of stock, and the TinyG is, well, beta-ish and expensive :)
Actually the $6 board mentioned in another thread is the perfect solution to this problem. It'll send the same control pulses to two different drivers, so if it's wired between the Arduino output for the Y-axis and then to two drivers on a stepper board, they'd have the same motion.