Owen's Electronics Enclosure

MathewOwen

Owen's Electronics Enclosure

Post by MathewOwen » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:47 am

I decided to build an electronics enclosure for my recently acquired ShapeOko. The suggested curved acrylic plate was nice but not entirely practical. Besides, I enjoyed designing and building this enclosure so for anyone interested, here it is.

- 24v 5a power supply (eBay $15 incl. shipping)
- 24v 1.4w Papst Fan ($10 eBay)
- Power switch ($3.19 at Radio Shack)
- Power entry component ($0.60 local hardware store)
- e-Stop module ($5 for 2 - eBay)
- Arduino ($35 Radio Shack)
- GRBL Shield ($69 Synthesos.com)
- 4 x 4-pin connectors ($5 for pack of 4)
- M3 & M5 bolts ($5 local hardware store)
- USB cabe ($3)
- Power Cable ($1.49)
- 1/4" birch plywood - 24" x 12" - 3 pieces ($10 hardware store)
- Extra cables ($6 for 6 feet from inventables)

Total electronics with enclosure came out to be just about $160 (not bad at all - you will need patience for all components to arrive, many come from China or elsewhere and can take a long time). Very happy with my setup, I ordered a Buildlog.net stepper shield so will compare that soon (was much cheaper than GRBL!!).

e-stop button connected to the top. Working on integrating an external reset button as well.

4-pin connectors (only using 3 at the moment but will install the second Y-axis motor soon).

I used a raster to cut into the wood as it was too thick for the pins. Since this is my first CNC I used a laser cutter instead. If you use 4-pin connectors make sure the threaded part is long enough to fit through.

Using a power switch and 3 prong power connector. Very cheap and easy set up (instead of a power entry module).

The top of the enclosure showing the e-stop button connected. Thinking about making the top from transparent acrylic.

Will post more images once it is completed along with files in case anyone else might want to build one too. Thanks for looking & feel free to ask any questions.
Mathew Owen - Proud owner of a ShapeOko @ Fab Lab San Francisco http://fablabsf.org/

edwardrford

Re: Owen's Electronics Enclosure

Post by edwardrford » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:25 am

Hi Matthew,

This is a fantastic looking enclosure! I'm really looking forward to seeing these design files so I can build one myself.

I have to say, very clever thinking to raster the section where the 4 pin connectors are located! I've had that issue before, where the material is too thick to accomodate the thread length (or lack there of), and each time have either botched the job, or taken a hand router to it, and faking a pocket. Your enclosure looks so much cleaner than any of my attempts.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:14 pm

Where do you get nice connectors like that so inexpensively? Got a part number?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

ThatOtherGuy435

Post by ThatOtherGuy435 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:34 pm

eBay, under the search for 'c146 connector'. They only come in 4pin variety that I can find, but they are inexpensive.
ShapeOko1 #??? - 1000mm Dual-drive Y, Double X, S2 gantry motor plates, ACME Z-Axis.

Metroid

Post by Metroid » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:44 pm

Thanks, I orderd them for my system.
The nice thing aboud those connectors are that the shroud can handle the grounding for the motors. Just peel the shield back over the cable and close the female connector. On the other side use a amp ring connector for connection to the male chassis connector.
Less EMI so the better the system will work. If you want to ad wifi, blue tooth or x- zigbee it's a must.

Nice enclosure you build. Butt ad a fuse to you 110/230V AC input for your own safety.

Gr. Rob.
eShapeOko #92, 4x Stepper Shield, All in One GRBL
The Wings

MathewOwen

Post by MathewOwen » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:15 pm

edwardrford wrote:Hi Matthew,

This is a fantastic looking enclosure! I'm really looking forward to seeing these design files so I can build one myself.

I have to say, very clever thinking to raster the section where the 4 pin connectors are located! I've had that issue before, where the material is too thick to accomodate the thread length (or lack there of), and each time have either botched the job, or taken a hand router to it, and faking a pocket. Your enclosure looks so much cleaner than any of my attempts.

-Edward
Hi Edward,

Thank you very much for the compliment! Its just a simple design though (mostly based on organizing everything without being too expensive or difficult to build). There are a couple things that need to be redesigned, so I will post the files very soon.

The rastering was a great success (I will admit I discovered this entirely accidentally while engraving the ShapeOko name) and is surprisingly easy to control once you experiment a little bit with the settings.

Really loving the shapeoko! Just got it to write its own name last night. Have to thank you for putting this together and sharing all this information. Truly amazing!

Nice enclosure you build. Butt ad a fuse to you 110/230V AC input for your own safety.
@ Rob, thank you for the advice. Any advice regarding electricity is very much appreciated.

- Mathew
Mathew Owen - Proud owner of a ShapeOko @ Fab Lab San Francisco http://fablabsf.org/

sshwarts

Post by sshwarts » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:49 am

This is indeed one of the best enclosures. Would you please post the design files?

Thanks

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:16 pm

Yeah, that looks good.

But why not use XLR connectors instead of the c146 connector?

No fiddling about with the Earth as this has 5 pins.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-pcs-XLR-Audio ... 35cb04ab66

There may be cheaper ones out there.

Alternatively, IP68 rated connectors:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-Avia ... 0980908516
Weird guy...
Shapeoko 2014F: 1000mm X/Y, 300W Quiet Cut spindle, Arduino Uno/G-shield and GRBL 0.9i
15x30 drag chains, custom spindle mount, 9mm belts, 8mm endplates, 6mm motor plates.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:58 pm

Gadgetman! wrote:But why not use XLR connectors instead of the c146 connector?

No fiddling about with the Earth as this has 5 pins.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-pcs-XLR-Audio ... 35cb04ab66
Those are not XLR connectors. They're the same series as the C146, only the 5-pin variant. I have no idea what they're properly called, but they have nothing to do with XLR.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

no_hazmats

Post by no_hazmats » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:31 am

They are the connectors that are typically used for Ham and CB (Citizen's Band) radio microphones. They're available with a number of pin configurations from 2 to more than 7 pins. Can be found at any CB radio shop or by searching for "CB Microphone Connector" online.

http://www.americanradiosupply.com/sear ... 1280&y=-95
Shep

ShapeOko S/N SHEP00001