Has anyone built a Shapeoko with a tinyG?

minorthreat

Post by minorthreat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:46 pm

http://www.synthetos.com/wiki/index.php ... ects:TinyG

Because of the apparent run on grbl shields I figured I'd try the tinyG out.

Anyone beat me to it? Care to share the machine profile?

edwardrford

Re: Has anyone built a Shapeoko with a tinyG?

Post by edwardrford » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:52 pm

I have a tinyG, but have yet to hook it up to my Shapeoko.

I know that Alden's Shapeoko (http://youtu.be/pCC1GXnYfFI) running at 16kmm/min is driven by a tinyG. Maybe he'll jump in and provide some details on the config.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

minorthreat

Post by minorthreat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:58 pm

edwardrford wrote:I have a tinyG, but have yet to hook it up to my Shapeoko.

I know that Alden's Shapeoko (http://youtu.be/pCC1GXnYfFI) running at 16kmm/min is driven by a tinyG. Maybe he'll jump in and provide some details on the config.

-Edward
Whoot! I hate being first, the bleeding always hurts. It's good to know there's help out there.
I have neither a tinyg or a shapeoko at the moment but both should be shipping soon :-p, just setting up what I can on the soft side and trying to be ready to roll when the UPS man rings the bell.

roberlin

Post by roberlin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:13 am

I'm in the same boat -- after much indecision I finally committed and ordered the tinyg a couple of days ago.

Doesn't seem like it should be radically different to set up than the gerbil. May require slightly different feeding?

nogthree

Post by nogthree » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:40 am

I'd quite like to use the TinyG but I don't want to futz about with ISP/ICSP programming while the tinyg code is in flux. I plan on getting one once its featureset has started settling :)
- Brendan Halliday.
ShapeOko Wiki Userpage

aldenhart

Post by aldenhart » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:50 pm

I should have jumped in earlier. We are planning to promote the 0.93 code base to the Master branch shortly - certainly in the delivery window for the Inventables builds. The code base is pretty close to complete to the current level but we have been hammering it and having some more inputs from alpha testers. If you want the latest go to the edge branch and get build 338.05 (or later). You should also be aware that the grbl project is in pre-release, so we are in much the same boat.

minorthreat

Post by minorthreat » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:52 pm

If anyone is on the fence while reading this, the ATAVRISP2 programer is only 35$...

Heck send me postage and a regional can of beer and I'll program the dang thing for ya.

nogthree

Post by nogthree » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:04 pm

I'd be more interested in using a TinyG if I didn't require a AVRISP programmer to update, Grblshield just ended up being simpler to manage at the time.

I'd like to eventually upgrade to a tinyg at some point though.
- Brendan Halliday.
ShapeOko Wiki Userpage

sjh

Post by sjh » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:29 am

roberlin wrote:I'm in the same boat -- after much indecision I finally committed and ordered the tinyg a couple of days ago.

Doesn't seem like it should be radically different to set up than the gerbil. May require slightly different feeding?
Have you received and/or installed your TinyG yet? If so please keep us posted. There isn't much info of a TinyG with ShapeOko.

@Alden Could you provide more info for us. Or even write in the wiki. I fell in love with your youtube video (http://youtu.be/pCC1GXnYfFI) and have been searching for more since. I'm looking for a controller for a ShapeOko and Hadron Ord Bot. I know many more users here have or want the same combination and are very 'green'. That's why it is a pity you haven't jumped in and explained (step by step) what you have done to achieve the result of your video. If you are willing to help us out maybe accompany it with a group-buy?

aldenhart

Post by aldenhart » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:29 am

You are right. I should provide more info. Give me a few days (I'm traveling) and I'll post the settings I use and some other info. I should probably put a TinyG page up in the wiki Electronics section, as well. In the mean time, the TinyG wiki is here: http://www.synthetos.com/wiki/index.php ... ects:TinyG

We can also discuss a discounted group buy.