Dual Y motor, one stepper => wiring

Nikotine

Dual Y motor, one stepper => wiring

Post by Nikotine » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:58 pm

Hi,

I just finished adding a second Y motor and putting the belts on the outside.
I wired the motors in parallel, but I want that one Y motor turns opposite from the other.
What I did was switching two wires of one pair of motor wires.

This seems to work. The second motor spins in reverse, but I keep wondering, shouldn't I reverse the second wire pair as well?

Nikotine

Re: Dual Y motor, one stepper => wiring

Post by Nikotine » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:13 am

I've added a quick sketch of how it's wired now.
dual y motor wiring.jpg
dual y motor wiring.jpg (38.6 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
Last edited by Nikotine on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:43 am

I memory serves, it's switching either pair of wires which reverses the motor.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Nikotine

Post by Nikotine » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:27 am

Alright thanks.
I was worried because when the motors aren't powered and I move the y axis by hand, it feels as if both motors are working against each other.

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:32 am

That's because they are. The windings are now a load to one another.
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660

Nikotine

Post by Nikotine » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:58 am

Ok, thanks for the confirmation.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:07 am

And it's in the wiki:
Note that in most Dual Y setups that employ a belt, either motor is positioned in a mirrored configuration to the other. In order to have the steppers drive the gantry in the same direction, you must alter the order of the leads. You can reverse the order or either the leftmost pair of leads or you can reverse the pair of rightmost leads or you can swap out the pair on the left for the pair on the right (as pictured below), keeping each pair in their original order.
Rearranged that and added sub-heads to make it more noticeable.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:15 pm

Are you sure that's how the motors are wired right now? I'm asking because, in the usual color coding, red and blue are one pair, and green and black the other one. You have blue and black swapped, which are not a pair. However, you have them drawn as pins 3 and 4 (counting from the top), which usually are a pair. So I wonder if maybe you did the right thing, but got your colors wrong in the image.

If you turn one motor, it should turn the other motor in the opposite direction (i.e., moving the carriage in the same direction). So if you move the gantry by hand, the connection between motors should help both ends move at the same time.

About swapping wires and pairs: you can swap the wires of one pair, swap the wires of the other pair, and swap the pairs between each other -- any one of these three changes reverses the motor. Make any two changes, and you reverse it twice, meaning it turns the same way as before. Do all three and it reverses yet again. It's a little funny, but makes sense if you think about how the stepper motors work.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Nikotine

Post by Nikotine » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:30 am

cvoinescu wrote:Are you sure that's how the motors are wired right now? I'm asking because, in the usual color coding, red and blue are one pair, and green and black the other one. You have blue and black swapped, which are not a pair. However, you have them drawn as pins 3 and 4 (counting from the top), which usually are a pair. So I wonder if maybe you did the right thing, but got your colors wrong in the image.
You are right, I made a mistake in that picture. I swapped black and green.
I've uploaded a corrected picture.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:38 am

Would it be okay to put that image on the wiki?