motors just whine but don't spin

mplonski

Re: motors just whine but don't spin

Post by mplonski » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:38 pm

Hi. Thank you for the quick responses.

I have checked $2. I have set it to 320, 43, and 20 with the same results. I have the other values set to exactly what is on the Run Your First Job page. After your suggestion I set $4 and $5 to 100 and $8 to 5. The problem persists.

I do not have the Z axis servo connected to the Shapeoko. I have the same issue when I switch my servos around. Here is a video.

Thank you.

Matt

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:15 pm

The video is private.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

mplonski

Post by mplonski » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:23 pm

Sorry. Video should be available now. Thanks!

Matt

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:37 pm

Iiinteresting. I have no clue. I still think you have too many steps per mm for the distance you want to go, but that should not cause it to hang. The Arduino should keep working and responding to commands from the G-code sender even if the grblShield misbehaves. That it doesn't points to a serious issue. Maybe you have power supply issues. Maybe some of the ground current for the Z axis flows through the Arduino. Maybe it's something simpler than that.

To nitpick: when you say "servo", you really mean "driver". A servo is a motor with a position encoder used for negative feedback. The steppers are open loop (no feedback -- exactly the opposite of a servo). The electronics are called "drivers" in either case.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

mplonski

Post by mplonski » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:10 pm

OK, thanks for the help. I will post if I get anything to work.

Matt

mplonski

Post by mplonski » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:08 pm

Figured I'd give an update. Inventables sent a new grbl shield and the problem persisted. After that they sent a validated pair of Arduino and shield and everything works fine. I sent the originals back to them, but I doubt I'll hear back. (It is hard to justify spending time to debug a $20 board.)

Hopefully the next time someone has this same problem they'll find this thread and know to replace the Arduino. Thanks again for the help!

Matt