BEWARE - Reactive Substance Web site - *ISSUE RESOLVED*

crashn_burn

Re: BEWARE - Reactive Substance Web site

Post by crashn_burn » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:12 am

PsyKo,
Yes patience is due on my part, courtesy is required on his part.

I'm glad that you support his store (and/or him personally). Great for you, no difference either way for me.

I respect that you have a different opinion than me.

And I agree, we should close this thread and EJ Strauss and I should converse via email. Problem is, he has NEVER responded directly to me.

I never would have started this post if:
1) I got some type of communication from him.
2) His site was honest and forthcoming with accurate information.

Even now, he has not tried to contact me directly. Worm in my book.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

ejs

Post by ejs » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:12 pm

*sigh*

Please understand that I am inclined to respond further, not because of crashn_burn's propensity to flaming, for which I think we can agree he picked the right handle, but because I can't sit back while someone spindoctors lies in order to make it appear that the other side is being untruthful. If he was just a schmuck, I could have let this peter out. But he's a vindictive schmuck, so I am responding.

We're going to take this slowly and with a nice, linear logic. Everyone here seems to be purposefully standing on my side the fence, and I'm going to thank you again.

Since Michael doesn't count the same way I do. He states this:
So lets do the math. I ordered on Monday 6/24 in the AM. No response, no email, no shipping, no contact, no response to PayPal until Thursday July 4 at 12:24 am. So lets count them. Monday 1, Tuesday 2, Wednesday 3, Thursday 4, Friday 5, Saturday 6, Sunday 7, Monday 8, Tuesday 9, Wednesday 10, Thursday 11. 11 Days.
First, PayPal sends a receipt when someone orders. I currently do not have as sophisticated enough shop to automatically respond further. I will eventually. The only way to send a response via the provider I use, Storenvy, is to include shipping. I don't ship same day as has been discussed. Perhaps I'm just old school, but I've never felt nervous about where my order may be as long as I have a receipt in hand.

Now on to math. In the same way that a child is not a year until they have lived their 365th day, I do not count a day until a day has elapsed. So his counts all show one day higher than mine. It's rhetorical, really. But you know when he filled with PayPal? Day 7, or his Day 8. That was the 1st. I saw it on the 2nd, finished boxing his order (I was waiting for heatsinks to get back in) and shipped the 3rd. I reported the information to PayPal on the 3rd. Notice how he is not only counting his wait time, but also counting the time after he filed.

Which brings up another point. I do not respond directly to people after they have gone to the authorities. I go through the channels that they, themselves, have established. It's a small scale equivalent of dealing with someone via legal council once they have filed suit. This guy clearly likes little power trips. I was not about to give him another in to my life. I've already outlined that I missed an email from Michael. Can't undo it. It is general practice that when someone asks me a question, that I respond. I always aim to communicate and respond to avoid this situation.

So let's further investigate how Michael is both breaking the truth and shooting himself in the foot. This was the first PayPal note:
7/1/2013 11:46 PDT - Buyer: Either ship purchase or refund. We are well past your insane 6 day lead time (as stated on site, but not storeenvy, where I bought). You have not responded to repeated requests for info.Either ship or refund ASAP.
As mentioned, I've added the shipping information to the product page. It was missing, and I must have erased it last time I updated the page. Still my bad. His most recent post states
I will await my board (even though I asked for a refund, SOMETHING ELSE YOU IGNORED).
You can't help but note that twice in four sentences he says "Refund or Ship" in the previous quote. So I shipped...in response to
I also said NEARLY, clearly you don't absorb what people are typing.
I'd point out that Michael has a degree of trouble absorbing what he, himself, is typing since when he wrote "Refund or Ship" I was supposed to understand that he actually meant
"Refund or Refund". The only place that he wrote "Refund" was earlier in this thread, a thread I did not know existed until a few friends emailed me to let me know. This was after I had stitched everything up with a response and tracking information on PayPal.

Then, his second note to PayPal:
7/3/2013 08:23 PDT - Buyer: The seller has now cancelled the order on their website, but no refund, and no contact from seller.So, they have my money, have cancelled the order and refuse to respond to repeated requests for information.I will also be filing a police report soon if I do not get my money refunded. Its called theft.
My Storenvy shop is setup with a connection to PayPal. When he launched his complaint on the 1st, Storenvy took that ping from PayPal and interpreted it as a cancellation. There was absolutely no user intervention on my part in Storenvy to bring about the cancellation. Instead, it was a domino that followed the PayPal complaint. I would suppose that Storenvy sent the notification of 'cancellation' to Michael.
Look, people standing on my side of the fence doesn't just happen. I have done much more good business than bad, and I always seek to do right, even when the customer is upset. But this customer is on the offensive, so I leave it to my responses via proper channels.

On a completely illogical note, I have a personal plea: Michael Bernstein with his sensible, not-stinking-rich, $300k house who is pushing fifty will not adopt a better attitude or worldview because of my post. He will not look to my theology or logic simply because of a few paragraphs on a thread somewhere. He is concerned only with the wrong done to him and the deep wounds inflicted because someone forgot to email him back. He will lash out first thing, calling people he doesn't know from Adam sh&t heads in a public forum. I don't know your theologies, but I hope there are those of you who may consider that someone like Michael couldn't not use your thoughts a prayers. Dude. Sounds. Miserable.

For the cynical faithful, I would ask your thoughts and prayers be with me as I await the feds knocking on my door.
Build it better than it was built for you. And give permission for the next guy to do the same. That's how Open Source works.
ShapeOko # 497: http://bit.ly/reactshop producing the Buildlog CNC Stepper Shield

crashn_burn

Post by crashn_burn » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:29 pm

All this could stop if you were man enough just to contact me directly. Instead the only response I have from you is in an online forum.

You have my email, my phone and my address, so what are you waiting for?

Contact me in person and stop hiding behind the web.

ejs

Post by ejs » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:53 pm

As I've explained, not a chance. In any situation where I have another human being call me a worm and a sh&t head in public, they have given up all rights to a private convo. I won't do anything where there isn't a paper trail and witnesses.

As for the emails, I'm not contradicting myself. The quotes I have from you I pulled from the PayPal resolution center dashboard. You are grasping at some thin, thin straws. I knew that you are a generation too old to understand this, but machismo is so very overrated. Plus you told me to man up, without knowing my gender. So, there's a dash of sexism in with all of this raving and wrath, which is, I suppose, not a surprise. Manning up is a teenage construct--the construct that makes more of physical size and ability to intimidate rather than any actual worldly good of any one human being. At least in the way you are using it. It can also mean the ability to quiet your heart, empathize, and act accordingly. But that's clearly not what you are after. Your 'man up' is nothing but a confrontational spitting match. You are getting a good product at a fair price, a product that hundreds of other people have used successfully.

You took a stab at a public shaming, and, being as objective as I can be, it largely failed. Let it go, friend. I'm not calling you on the phone to let you cuss me out in person. You're not man enough for me to trust that you won't. You have unearned that satisfaction. And I do not deserve the abuse.

Blessings.
Build it better than it was built for you. And give permission for the next guy to do the same. That's how Open Source works.
ShapeOko # 497: http://bit.ly/reactshop producing the Buildlog CNC Stepper Shield

no_hazmats

Post by no_hazmats » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:10 pm

Backing up a bit, I'll share my ordering experience from Reactive Substance. I took was annoyed at the lack of communications, no order confirmation, etc. I don't know how long before I wrote, maybe about a week. Then several days later I wrote him again, more annoyed and I threatened cancellation. Within a day I got a response saying they were getting new PC boards in and my kit would ship within a few days. It arrived two days later.

So yes, it wasn't a great experience, but it doesn't warrant a wholesale boycott of a good product. I would say to RS, it doesn't take a lot of time or technology to respond to an order with an automatic response saying that you got the order, it normally takes so long to fullfill, etc. So go ahead and set that up. It will save you & your customers a lot of angst. And for the record, I ordered and you sent my product, albeit with poor communications. I'll buy from you again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Shep

ShapeOko S/N SHEP00001

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:08 pm

I confirm that my store automatically cancels orders as soon as the buyer opens a PayPal dispute, too. It's completely automatic, and not something I can even configure anywhere.

And a warning: please refrain from personal insults and name calling (worm, etc). It is not constructive and not in keeping with the standards of this community.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

crashn_burn

Post by crashn_burn » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:18 pm

CV,
Thank you for the constructive words.

I will refrain from further comment. If RS wants to further our discussion, he knows how to get a hold of me.

crashn

ejs

Post by ejs » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:38 pm

cvoinescu, thank you for mentioning this. I have on-and-off considered moving to your platform, so that's am important piece of advice.

To no_hazmats, if there is any specific solution you can recommend, I am all ears. Storenvy sends an email with a cutesy little note at the beginning whenever an order comes in. The note is always different, or I'd build a system to parse and auto-reply to buyers. They just recently made their API available--my programming skills have never been more than intermediate.

Many of the changes on my site and my practices have been shaped by the community, and, cvoinescu, this speaks to your point--generally, people come to me with "Hey, such and such was a confusing point on your site and I fried a driver board because of it. Just thought you should know." Any guesses as to my response? That's right, I tweak the text and send them a new driver as a thank you. Open source is a group of support and trust which. You just can't tell some people.

I will endeavor to again retool how I keep track of CS emails to further prevent unpleasantness like this from happening in such an otherwise focused forum.

And Michael, for I think the third time, I am not getting in touch with you on your terms.

EJ

crashn_burn

Post by crashn_burn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:26 am

Conclusion to the story.

I have received my order in good shape and in-tact. The quality is good, and while I have not put them together yet, I am sure everything will be ok.

I also received an unexpected gift from EJS.

He has made good in my book, and I withdraw my previous statements. It is unfortunate that we had to communicate via this forum, but that is now water under the bridge.

Michael

Kiah

Re: BEWARE - Reactive Substance Web site - *ISSUE RESOLVED*

Post by Kiah » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:51 pm

Sorry to post in an old thread but I'm also having no joy with contact from EJS. Much the same as crashn_burn's dealings, I've haven't heard from the guy after emailing regarding a purchase from his website. Purchased on the 9th of November, I'm usually pretty easy going with online buying as I also sell online but alarm bells start ringing when other items I've purchased from the US a week or so after the 9th arrive (I'm in Australia) and still there's no items or word from him, postage from the US shouldn't take more that two weeks to my location even with your worst postal service. The only conclusion I have come to is that the guys done a runner with my cash and unfortunately I have had put in a dispute with paypal. Reading back through the threads you guys seem to think he's a stand-up guy which may be the case but honestly, if you're going to run a business, particularly online then communication is paramount and as a customer I would like to know that there's someone on the other end, it only takes a few seconds out of your day to do a quick reply. If you're waiting for parts, gone on holidays or there's a delay in shipping for some reason, I don't particularly care as long as I know what's going on and can plan around it. It's unfortunate that this has happened, I really liked the product but it's screwed me over big time given it was to be used in a project I'm working on for my college Mechatronics submission due in next week, now I must resort to making the item myself which I really wanted to avoid doing.

Given EJS is active on this forum I hope he reads this and decides to do what he should have done and make contact so we can sort this issue out. As I stated in my email, if it's been posted.. great, give me a tracking number, receipt or something otherwise please refund my cash. I seriously hope this isn't you're usual way of running your business. Oh and I did try sending you a PM first before posting here but unfortunately there's only a link to your site and you obviously don't reply to emails.

Adam