ELECTRONICS DON'T WORK ANYMORE

whwallacemo2

ELECTRONICS DON'T WORK ANYMORE

Post by whwallacemo2 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:39 pm

Everything was working well, motors ran, instructions followed etc. Then, I made the mistake of plugging in my Motor Power supply when everything else was plugged in. A lot of sparks between the two plugs and the problems started.
The control electronics stopped working, and the motor control board had lights flashing all over the place with no motors moving.

Since then, I have replaced the Motor Control Board with a V4 board rather than the V3 board the came with the kit.

I did some testing an here is what I have found;

1 Motor Control Power supply indicates 22 DC volts and plus is attached to the correct connection on the Motor Control board. When turned on I get a blue light from the Motor Control Board. At this time nothing is plugged in to anything except the Motor Control board is plugged into its power supply. However, the Adriuno and motor control Board are attached to each other.

2. I am using GRLB Controller and Windows XP Home Edition

3. Adriuno and motor control board communicate through the USB and cable to start with when the Motor Controller Board is unpowered by turning off the Emergency Stop Switch.

4. Emergency Stop switch is switching the +24v side. $ dumps the proper parameters back to the Computer. Other commands are recognized by the pair and results are sent to the computer. Now remember, the Motor Control Board is unpowered at this time.

5. When I turn on the power to the Motor Control Board, I get a blue light, but the adriuno and Motor Control Board no longer can communicate to the computer and I get an error message that says "sending to port failure", I have to restart the computer before I can use the USB port after it has failed.

Anyone have any ideas what has failed or what is going on. Somehow the power being on on the Motor Control Board is feeding back through something to affect the USB port. But I do not have any ideas of why, or what to check. I could order a new power supply and or a new adriumo, or maybe I got a bad Motor Controller Board. I just do not know what to do now.
Anyone any ideas?

Thank You, Bill Wallace, St. Louis area.

bjbsquared

Re: ELECTRONICS DON'T WORK ANYMORE

Post by bjbsquared » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:48 am

I would be cautious about using that power supply. It shouldn't have done what it did. Since the motor driver was replaced I would suspect there is something wrong with the arduino.
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660

Estlcam

Post by Estlcam » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:30 pm

Hi,

USB is quite sensitive to electrical noise and potential differences.
Difficult topic if one of this causes the trouble but you may check some things:
  • Is everything grounded as intended? If you have a laptop try running it from battery - if this helps you're most likely having some issues with grounding...
  • Good / not too long USB cable?
  • I don't know if it is allowed to run the motor drivers with motors disconnected - but if so try doing so (with motor power supply on).
    If this helps you may need shielded cables to connect the motors to the drivers.
Christian
Estlcam CAM and Arduino UNO CNC controller: www.estlcam.com

whwallacemo2

Post by whwallacemo2 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks Christian
I have just replaced my Adruino and go it loaded, I think. There is not a lot of information about where the bootloader is and where the software is on the Wiki. That could be improved for people that use there own Adruino. Apparently some of the links are no longer valid. I have also replaced the power supply with a Radio Shack power supply. I am going to retest today or tomorrow. I am using shielded cable, but the shield is not grounded. Computer battery is dead, but everything is 3 prone plugs all plugged into the same circuit.

Thanks again to everybody that has answered my question. This really helps.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:55 pm

whwallacemo2 wrote:There is not a lot of information about where the bootloader is and where the software is on the Wiki. That could be improved for people that use there own Adruino. Apparently some of the links are no longer valid.
Unfortunately, it's hard to update stuff that one doesn't have direct experience w/.

I have ordered an Arduino from an Indiegogo campaign, but until it arrives, have to depend on people posting detailed enough corrections to the forum that they can be transferred.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)