The Motors wont go on!!! HELP!

sweetv13

The Motors wont go on!!! HELP!

Post by sweetv13 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Hello,

I recently finished my Sharpeoko assembly, I run the arduino and all the software is running good, BUT the motors wont work, i rechecked and everything is as it is supposed to be, I followed all the instructions here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ch_4_and_5 , Then i plugged the power supply and nothing happened!, Im really worried something went wrong. The motors wont move, wont make any sound. they just seem to be off, HELP please!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: The Motors wont go on!!! HELP!

Post by WillAdams » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:16 pm

First thing to check --- does the power supply have a switch for 110/220 mode?

Do you have a multimeter or some other way to test the connectivity / continuity?

There've been a couple of reports of bad Grbl Shields recently --- perhaps that's bad?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

sweetv13

Post by sweetv13 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:33 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your reply: answering the questions:

1. The power supply does not have a switch
2. Ill give it a test later on today.
3. If the Grbl Shield is bad, do Shapeoko replace them?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:40 pm

The company you bought the machine from should work w/ you to make it good --- presumably that's Inventables, so you'd contact their Customer Service at: help@inventables.com

Maybe someone who knows more about the electronics will be able to offer some real troubleshooting advice --- I'm afraid that they mystify me.

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

sweetv13

Post by sweetv13 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:14 pm

Do you have a multimeter or some other way to test the connectivity / continuity?

ok. The continuity is in the wores red with blue and black with green. Black with red or with green nothing happens.

cansomeone help me with this.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:32 pm

sweetv13 wrote:ok. The continuity is in the wores red with blue and black with green. Black with red or with green nothing happens.
That is how they should be, so that's good.

When you simply plug the motor power supply in, nothing should happen. You need to have the Arduino plugged into a computer too, and the motors will remain off until you send a G-code command that causes them to move.

To get help, you'll need to tell us more. For any good problem report, you have to say:
  • What you did;
  • What happened;
  • What you expected to happen.
I've said it before, but it bears repeating, the latter point is just as important as the other two.

In your case, what did you do? Did you plug the Arduino into a USB port? Did you use a program (which?) to send a command (what command?) to GRBL? When you plugged the supply in, did any lights come on? Have you measured the voltage of the power supply? When you use the program to talk to GRBL via USB, does it respond? Do any lights on the Arduino blink when you send a command? What were you expecting the motors to do when you plugged in the supply?
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

sweetv13

Post by sweetv13 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:48 pm

In your case, what did you do? Did you plug the Arduino into a USB port? Did you use a program (which?) to send a command (what command?) to GRBL? When you plugged the supply in, did any lights come on? Have you measured the voltage of the power supply? When you use the program to talk to GRBL via USB, does it respond? Do any lights on the Arduino blink when you send a command? What were you expecting the motors to do when you plugged in the supply?it seems to be getting a signal

Answering your questions>
1. What did you do? I plugged the arduino and It seems to be getting a signal from the computer because when I put a command in the Gcode Sender it blinks a orange light in the arduino.
2. Did you use a program? Which? i used Gcode sender.
3. To send a command what command to GRBL? i used command X5 to try to move the X axis which it is stated here:http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... g_Settings
4. Do any lights on the Arduino blink when you send a command? Yes it does blink an orange light.
5. What were you expecting the motors to do when you plugged in the supply? It says in the Wiki that they were supposed to to a click noise and a whoosh sound and nothing happened,
It does seem to be getting a signal but the motors wont move. i type "X5" in the command box that is what the wiki says and nothing happens. I changed the default settings alo=so because the wiki said and nothing happened, What can i do??

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:24 am

Is there a blue light showing on the grbl board?
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660

sweetv13

Post by sweetv13 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:21 am

No. There is no blue light showing. Where should it be?? What does this mean?? Im in Honduras helppp. Thanks

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:52 am

Its in the area where the power hooks up to the board. If it was lit you would see it.

Make sure that the E-Stop switch is ON by twisting it in the direction according to the arrows on the red knob.

If this doesn't give you a blue light then something is hooked up wrong or your power supply is not working.

I can't help the fact you are in Honduras.
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660