non-stable position in inherited machine

wormguy

non-stable position in inherited machine

Post by wormguy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:44 am

G'day,
Our makerspace has inherited a Shapeoko. I'm used working with Reprap style 3D cartesian bots where the steppers hold position while energised. Although this Shapeoko will move as commanded in all three dimensions (using Universal G code sender) hardly any effort is required to push the X or Y manually out of position when it is not being actively moved. It seems like it would be easy to lose position this way. Is this normal shapeoko behaviour? It seems to me like it would be a field-energised problem with incorrectly connected steppers.

Cheers,
B

jasonharper

Re: non-stable position in inherited machine

Post by jasonharper » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:35 am

That's a feature - it lets you easily set a zero position relative to your workpiece, manually (and a manually-set position is really the only position you have, on a stock Shapeoko with no limit/homing switches).

If you don't like this - for example, when running a job that's going to require tool changes - there's a GRBL setting for how long the motors remain energized after the last movement, with 255 meaning 'forever'. It's $7, I think? (may vary between GRBL versions.)
ShapeOko #1743F, double X axis, 5mm Y drive shaft, DW660 spindle