New controller going nowhere fast

DevinTX

Re: New controller going nowhere fast

Post by DevinTX » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:03 pm

You are correct, it did take longer to get the board out then it did to desolder and solder the new chip lol

Thanks again and if you observe have great holiday

Devin
ShapeOko # 207 / Dual Y Drive / Acme Upgrade / Belt on outside / Working on expansion

DevinTX

Post by DevinTX » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:53 am

I need some assistance. After I fixed/replaced the controller chip for the x-axis I wired up the dual-y-axis. Seems I had the two motors going in the same direction (fighting each other) I was doing a manual move test with the arrow keys in Mach3 when the Y-axis controller smoked and there is a "melt" spot on the chip. Is this unit that delicate that any strain will blow chips? What can I do beside keep replacing chips? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for and advice

Devin
ShapeOko # 207 / Dual Y Drive / Acme Upgrade / Belt on outside / Working on expansion

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:50 pm

That's odd. Have you checked your DC voltage to the controller?
It should be under 30v. I run mine at 24v.
Loose motor wires have been known to blow chips. Though I have had a motor wire get pulled out with no harm done.
Another thought, what are your motors rated at for current? 3.5A is the max the board can handle.
That then brings up the question of what settings you have for current on the dip switches. I run mine at full current even though my motors are rated for 2A.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:53 pm

Just spitballin here, but... Motors want to move. The current consumption at a stand still should be higher than the consumption once the thing is moving. Now if you have the 2 motors arguing with each other, it means that you have 2 motors wanting more and more current because they are not going. I am not sure what these things pull at startup, but who knows what kind of spike hit that chip when you had them locked in battle. I blew the crap out of one of the L293D's on my Adafruit motor shield a couple of years whilst back playing with a stepper trying to make it do something it was not rated to do. Had it been heatsinked, it might have been ok, but I just had to make my project work, there was no time to search a junk bin for a sink. There was plenty of time afterwards though. ;0)

Sorry, man. That is no fun.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

Ing Chao

Post by Ing Chao » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:56 pm

DevinTX wrote:I need some assistance. After I fixed/replaced the controller chip for the x-axis I wired up the dual-y-axis. Seems I had the two motors going in the same direction (fighting each other) I was doing a manual move test with the arrow keys in Mach3 when the Y-axis controller smoked and there is a "melt" spot on the chip. Is this unit that delicate that any strain will blow chips? What can I do beside keep replacing chips? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for and advice

Devin
Yes, those boards are known for blowing chips! But.....the type of situation you described will blow a chip on pretty much any board. I was doing an X2 mill conversion with a GRBL shield and a set screw on one of my pulleys worked its way loose, stopping the pulley. The motor locked up and blew a driver chip.

And some of those TB5660 boards are known to blow chips @ 36v even thought they're supposedly rated for 36v!
'Oko #1153- D Extended Y axis-1000mm. Dual X axis makerslide-900mm Nema 23 X and Y axis motors. Arduino Uno and Grbl shield controller running on 24v.

DevinTX

Post by DevinTX » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:20 pm

Happy Holidays all

I just got back to my "lab" as my wife and kids refer to my work area. I replaced the blown chip with a new one I ordered from China. (At $2.30 I can afford to blow quite a few)...
After double checking all the solders I rewired a single motor to the X-Axis. Started Mach-3 and began to jog the motor pos. and neg. All seemed well until the jumper wires I was using to go from the
controller to the motor started to smoke and melt. I pulled the plug to the 24vdc power supply and checked the x-axis chip for heat or burns. All looks good. Seems the only issue was the short jumper wires.

FIY what I refer to as jumper wires are the same wires I use on my breadboards

I need to know why the wires melted and what could be causing it. I am at a loss again

Anybody out here with more smarts than me have any ideas?

Power Supply === HF100W-SF-24 OUTPUT 24VDC 4.5A Max
Controller === TB6560 4-Axis
Motor === Wantai Stepper Motor 42BYGHM809 NEMA 17

BTW Never once had any smoke escape from the arduino/GRBLShield

NEVER MIND I found the issue....ME i CROSSED THE LEADS AGAIN
ALL FIXED

Thanks

Devin