Just seen the Gertduino

jagmills

Just seen the Gertduino

Post by jagmills » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Hi guys,

I'm still in planning stage - one nice thing I saw is that a forum member used an AlaMode shield between an Arduino and Raspberry Pi to make a Shapeoko with essentially a built in mini PC. As a huge advocate of Linux, I planned to do the same :)

Here in the UK the Gertboard: http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/produc ... ccessories

Seems to be almost exactly the same in functionality, for about the same price (maybe a smidge less, definitely less without shipping and customs). Seems like a nice option and I hope to implement it when I get my stuff.

Cheers
Proud owner of eShapeoko #262 - 1mx1.5m, dual x axis, NEMA 23s for XYZ, ACME TR 8 x 2 leadscrew and deluxe frame. Makita RT0700c.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Just seen the Gertduino

Post by WillAdams » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:38 pm

Yeah, not having to have a full-fledged PC cabled up is huge in terms of convenience --- I did this, but cheated, by attaching a spare old Tablet PC which I control via VNC --- My son desperately wants a Raspberry Pi for Christmas, so looking forward to indulging him and learning enough about them that I can justify getting one for myself.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

zerblatt007

Post by zerblatt007 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:44 am

Me like.. :)
I think the Gerduino will be a hit, at that price..
Shapeoko #958: Dual-Y drive, Double-X, Belt on outside, 1m Y-Axis, Acme Z, Opened up and boxed in. Kress 1050 Spindle.

bobt

Post by bobt » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:58 am

Will get your son one because that was who they originally designed them for. Then also get one for your self. I now have 10 Raspberry Pi's and use them for all kinds of stuff. Like running my ShapeOko, my 3d printer, my new 4x4 cnc router system and also my new 4x4 cnc plasma cutter just like Bart has. Also you can learn a lot about programming. If a 7 year old girl can program up games on the machine what was my excuse for not trying and I am old enough to be her grandfather. If fact I do have a granddaughter but my daughter-in-law says that 3 months is to soon to put a computer in her hands. Something about drool shorting out the machine but I said that it would make a prefect teething item. But she said "NO!!!!". So I will just wait for a while.

Bob
"What Box???" ShapeOko #397