Gecko G540 Upgrade

cvoinescu

Re: Gecko G540 Upgrade

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:43 am

danimal wrote:That brings me to my last question. I am having a hell of a time finding a quality power supply rated for 36V 10-15A. I know that is a little large considering that I will be running my motors at about 2.5A, and the Nema 17s are in parallel so their operational characteristics are harder to pin down. The power supplies that I am finding are either cheap Chinese made, or they are $5-700 and have way more features and capabilities than I could ever justify the expense. Does anyone have a line on some quality, simple supplies for this application that wont go up in smoke and take my system with it?
The Mean Well NES-350-36 power supply is 9.65 A, and available for under $50 from China on eBay. Mean Well are a cut well above the unsafe crap usually sold on eBay; you'll find them sold by many serious Western electronic component distributors, and also by CNC-related shops (they actually have offices in Europe and the US). I can't guarantee that the one you buy on eBay is built to the same standard as the one you buy from Digi-Key for twice the money, but I've had good luck with this guy so far. The next model up is the NES-450-36 (at 12.5 A), but the price jumps quite a bit.
danimal wrote:Now I am running into all kinds of questions as I try to set this up. First, I do not own anything with a DB25 connection. I found some PCI cards on newegg, but not really having used any of them I do not know what to look for in terms of reliability and having the capabilities that i need for the Gecko. Along with this, most of the cards that I am finding are female, the Gecko is female also so I need a long male to male DB25 cable and that seems not to exist outside of custom order land.
There is no fundamental difference between most PCI parallel port cards. All of them made in the last 10 years or so will implement every parallel port mode, so they should work just fine with the Gecko. That cable certainly exists -- I have one in my box-o-cables. :) Also, here, although they don't say how it's wired (should be one-to-one unless they say differently).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Brian

Post by Brian » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:00 pm

Youll either need a male to male cable or a gender changer for a standard cable. Avoid cheap cables as they can be more hassle than the money saved.

As for motor wiring:
http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product ... cts_id=524
http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product ... cts_id=466

The most the g540 can draw is 10a IIRC so you dont need that powerful of a power supply. I run 4 3.5A steppers on my g540 (3x3 gantry with slaved y/a axis) with a 7.3A ebay power supply and havent had a single issue Plenty of power to rapid at 350 IPM. Most G540 "kits" only have a 7.3A power supply as well.
Brian
Shapeoko 2 #I have no idea
HF cutout tool, 72oz nema 17 steppers, TB6600 stepper drivers, Mach3 control

danimal

Post by danimal » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:27 pm

cvoinescu, that power supply is actually the one that I was looking at but I just cant tell them apart from the others. Your recommendation is good enough for me and I'll get one of those here shortly.

Brian, thanks for the cable links. I went ahead and bought the little plug inner adapters with the resistor built in so i think that I am setup for the cable wires.

http://www.soigeneris.com/ez_g540___set ... tails.aspx

I know that it it not too big of a deal to select resistors for the motors, but this was easy and they offer a discount if you buy the G540 from them. Also they had the best price and great customer service. My auto fill messed up the shipping address selecting CO (Columbia) for the country instead of CO (Colorado) for the state. But they contacted me right away and refunded my additional shipping that I was charged and even bumped up the shipping priority for free. Seems like a great company.
Shapeoko # 1458

RT0701C Spindle || dual y motor || x axis nema23 with custom carriage 1000mm length || z axis nema23 linear rail upgrade with 1/2-10 ACME

samc99us

Post by samc99us » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:07 pm

danmimal,

I'm using that same Mean Well power supply with my HobbyCNC setup. No issues so far with 1.5A NEMA23's, going to 2.1A NEMA23's on the upgraded build in progress.

Those are sweet find on the inner plug adapters, makes the Gecko 540 a much easier setup to use.

Good luck,

Sam
Modified Shapeoko 2: 1500mm fully supported y-axis, 1000 mm 4060 x-axis, ACME Belt Drive Z-axis, Dewalt DNP611, full aluminum t-slot table, 4x NEMA23 180 oz/in stepper motors driven by a G540

danimal

Post by danimal » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:16 am

Samc99us, I finally got all my parts in and I am going through the setup for the G540. It has been a while since I have been on the linux side of the world, but even then it was redhat. I have installed Ubuntu and LinuxCNC. I have been looking through everything but cant seem to get axis movement. I only have a test motor wired up to the G540, and I have holding torque applied so I know that I am good to that point.

Where I am having problems is verifying communication with my parallel port. I do not know if it is working. It is a new card, and I just don't know if I configured it correctly. I went through terminal and used the following command:

/sbin/modprobe parport_pc io=0x3f8,d000 irq=4,18

This was just going through the installation instructions, and I receive the following error:

WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/emc2, it will be ignored in a future release

I am not familiar enough with linux to verify port operation. This is what I get back from terminal after sending: lspci -v

03:05.0 Communication controller: NetMos Technology PCI 9835 Multi-I/O Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic Device 0012
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 20
I/O ports at e800
I/O ports at e400
I/O ports at e000
I/O ports at d800
I/O ports at d400
I/O ports at d000
Kernel driver in use: parport_serial
Kernel modules: parport_serial
Shapeoko # 1458

RT0701C Spindle || dual y motor || x axis nema23 with custom carriage 1000mm length || z axis nema23 linear rail upgrade with 1/2-10 ACME

samc99us

Post by samc99us » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:52 pm

danimal,

Sorry I missed this post. Did you make any progress with your setup? What parallel port card are you using? I have this one here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004B0 ... UTF8&psc=1

I think I ended up using the command "cat /proc/ioports" to find the address. Didn't install any drivers, Ubuntu took care of that automatically it seems.

One thing to check is the pinout of LinuxCNC against that of the Gecko540. For the HobbyCNC board, the default settings have the step and direction pin outs flipped.

PM me if you get stuck (I get email notification of PM's). I'll respond here so everyone knows what the solution is!
Modified Shapeoko 2: 1500mm fully supported y-axis, 1000 mm 4060 x-axis, ACME Belt Drive Z-axis, Dewalt DNP611, full aluminum t-slot table, 4x NEMA23 180 oz/in stepper motors driven by a G540

danimal

Post by danimal » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:22 pm

I bought the RC-303 and it has the NetMOS chipset 9835. It looks like the RC302 came with the MOSCHIP 9805. I do not know what the difference is, all that I know is that when I first started having the problem I went to the LinucCNC forum and found many threads stating to avoid the NetMOS chipset based cards. I tried another couple times to get it to work, but it is just a no go. I have the controller working on another motherboard that has a built in parallel port so I know that I am configuring the settings correctly, it just does not communicate with the controller no matter how I try to set it up.

But being that I can not get a dual boot to work with LinuxCNC and windows without either Linux killing windows or windows committing suicide I have just decided to use two separate towers alleviating my need to use the PCI card.

I do have to say though, there is a BIG difference after implementing the G540. The whole machine just moves different and the motors sound different. It is smooth sounding and seems much more powerful and nimble. I am so glad that I decided to opt for the upgrade.
Shapeoko # 1458

flashonja

Post by flashonja » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:04 pm

Hey,

@danimal, are you using parallel cable or any other way of connecting (ethernet smooth stepper / usb->parallel converter) gecko540 to the pc?
I'm about to order the g540 and smooth steppers is a bit pricey at the moment.
Any advice about the subject would be really helpfu!

thanks
m
SO2 full kit + limit switches
Kress 1050 FME
Win 7 64bit