Loading Arduino Drivers

Dewey

Loading Arduino Drivers

Post by Dewey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:31 am

Just opened my Shapeoko 2 and took stock of the inventory. All good.
Started to check out the electronics and ran into a problem.
I connected the Arduino to my computer (Windows 7) and it didn't find the correct drivers.
I unplugged the Arduino and from the Software directions in the Wiki, I went to the Arduino site for the drivers and downloaded. Ok so far. Replugged the Arduino on the USB.
Following the instructions, I opened Control Panel, Device Manager and clicked on the Ports (COM and LPT).
The Arduino instructions say that I should see "Arduino Uno (COMxx). The instructions then proceed, but I don't see any port listing as Arduino Uno (COMxx).
Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Thanks in advance.
Shapeoko 2 #4382 Codename: Beaver

RobCee

Re: Loading Arduino Drivers

Post by RobCee » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:24 am

Are you working through the Arduino 'Getting Started' information from the Arduino site itself?
Ardiono Getting Started with Windows
The reference there is pretty good, generally.

The name allocated to the Arduino depends on the device itself, I have one that calls the port 'Arduino Uno' and another that comes up as 'USB Serial Port'

The simplest way to tell which port the Arduino is using, if it is not labelled as "Arduino Uno (COMxx)" is:
  1. 1. Open Device Manager without the Arduino connected
    2. Click on and expand Ports (if listed)
    3. Plug in your Arduino
    4. After a second or two, the port associated with your Arduino will pop up in the listing <-- This is the one you use
Good luck!
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

Dewey

Post by Dewey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:13 pm

Thanks for the direction Rob. I'll try that when I get home tonight.
I am following the directions for Windows right from the Arduino site (exactly where you pointed).
I know I'm not supposed to go past instruction #4 and thats where the rub is. The fourth point down says I should see the Aruino COMxx, but it isn't showing up. I'll try your suggestion and go from there.
Thanks

Dewey

Post by Dewey » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:01 am

I tried what you said and at first it didn't click in my brain. Opened Device Manager and then plugged in the Arduino. Nothing changed on the ports. However I did notice that there was now a unidentified device that showed up. I clicked on it and it gave me a chance to update the driver. I then went through the steps and loaded the driver. Once Windows was done with it, then the Arduino showed up on the ports as COMM06. It said it was successfully installed. :lol:
Thanks for the help RobCee.
Onward and upward with the fun.

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:58 pm

I feel your pain, Windoze can be like that. USB devices are the bane of my life with Win7.
I have NEVER managed to get my iPhone to sync with iTunes on my PC successfully!
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets