Turn key alternative to gshield

awesomename

Turn key alternative to gshield

Post by awesomename » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:18 pm

Reading about some negative reviews recently about the gshield and the arduino controller I am hoping some experienced folks can chime in and help me out.

I want to use a nema 17 on the z, and the nema 23's on the other axis'. I would like a reasonably priced more bulletproof driver setup that is plug and play with the motors and either an arduino grbl controller, or if someone can recommend another controller. I don't want to be doing a bunch of soldering and tinkering.

Suggestions please?

RobCee

Re: Turn key alternative to gshield

Post by RobCee » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:06 pm

I love my gshield, it's awesome!
Not had a glitch so far

RC - Tapatalk
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:44 am

I don't know why people are talking down the Grbl shield. I have a fan blowing across mine and have had zero problems with it.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

wile_e_coyote

Post by wile_e_coyote » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:27 am

All the problems that I thought I was having with my Grbl shield have been caused by me. Takes a little time to get it right but after that no issue. I'm using two nema 23 for X and Y and a nema 17 for Z.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:41 am

There were a couple of instances recently of weird electrical glitches caused by defective gShields --- other than that, and the odd electrical issue caused by having a major appliance on the same circuit as the controller (but see cvoinescu's nifty intermediary shield GIPSS, (G)alvanicly (I)solated (P)ower (S)upply (S)hield http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... lly#p20500 ), they seem to be quite reliable.

The other issues have been:

- weird behaviour for unsupported G-codes
- odd paths resulting from too-long lines being partially ignored by the controller

I'd be interested in links to these negative reviews.

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:42 pm

WillAdams wrote:There were a couple of instances recently of weird electrical glitches caused by defective gShields --- other than that, and the odd electrical issue caused by having a major appliance on the same circuit as the controller (but see cvoinescu's nifty intermediary shield GIPSS, (G)alvanicly (I)solated (P)ower (S)upply (S)hield viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2694&p=20500&hilit=galvanically#p20500 ), they seem to be quite reliable.
The communication drops aren't even specific to the gShield. The buildlog.net stepper shield, the GAUPS, the various Azteeg controllers, the RAMPS on Arduino Mega: all are affected by the same problem. That's the impetus for the GIPSS: it can solve this problem for all of them (except the Azteeg controllers).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk