z axis motor stalls

awesomename

z axis motor stalls

Post by awesomename » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:24 pm

I have been getting some weird reactions on my z as well as the other motors .sometimes when spinning the z will stall and almost vibrate. I checked and the coupler is tight. the nema 17 literally seems to not be strong enough to spin the spindle up and down. sometimes even without the spindle mounted it does it.

I also seem to be getting a similar "chatter" when the other axis' move at times. is this normal? are the belts TOO tight?

Schruminator

Re: z axis motor stalls

Post by Schruminator » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:04 pm

I found this happened when I had the feedrate too high. Depending on what controller you are using, the speed of all 3 axis is probably the same-- so what may work great for X and Y is bogging down your Z. The delrin nut seems to bind or seize at high speeds sometimes.

I have squirted a bit of WD-40 on the z-axis screw and this helped-- although in hindsight I'd probably recommend some graphite lubricant/paste instead of any sprays or solvents.

Anyways, slow down your speeds a bit and play around with the z-axis to see what your max rate is before it starts acting up. Also check the threaded rod to make sure it is straight and everything is aligned properly. Initially my z-axis stepper motor mount plate stuck out a bit too far, to the threaded rod wasn't parallel with the MakerSlide. My machine didn't bind when my spindle was low on the axis, but when I raised it up it'd act up now and again. I've repositioned things and it's much better, but it'll still bind up at high speeds if I push things too much over the limit.
1.8m x 1.0m SO2 #3638 / Vectric Aspire / ACME Z-axis / View my photography at http://www.mschrum.com

awesomename

Post by awesomename » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:12 pm

My z axis rod wobbles pretty bad, slightly better than the previous one that came with my SO2 kit did, but its still pretty bad. I don't know why its wobbling around if the rod its self seems relatively straight when rolled on a flat surface.

Llamas

Post by Llamas » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:50 pm

awesomename wrote:My z axis rod wobbles pretty bad, slightly better than the previous one that came with my SO2 kit did, but its still pretty bad. I don't know why its wobbling around if the rod its self seems relatively straight when rolled on a flat surface.
Is the Z-axis motor axis aligned with the axis of the rod? Two straight axes slightly misaligned will wobble. The spring coupler compensates for this, but the better the alignment, the less movement around the coupler.

awesomename

Post by awesomename » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:30 pm

Ill try the loosening of the motor plate tonight.

Heres a quick video of my machine sped up to show its movements. Anyone see any issues? or hear any problems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-upxdI ... load_owner

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:21 pm

I added a couple of further notes on this --- hopefully we've got the instructions for this dialed in.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

awesomename

Post by awesomename » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:20 pm

Good news, looked like loosening the two top vertical "motor plate to makerslide" screws and re positioning the plate got rid of most if not all of the vibration and stalling.