Combo GRBL/LinuxCNC stepper board

smartroad

Combo GRBL/LinuxCNC stepper board

Post by smartroad » Wed May 28, 2014 10:40 am

I have had a driver go faulty on my Gshield and wanted to replace it with something that uses removable stepper drivers (Pololu and the like). I found one seller of a driver board that uses those stepper drivers however it isn't directly available in the UK.

So I started making my own board. Initially I was just going to make it for GRBL, but I really like the idea of the LinuxCNC platform. To that end I added a parallel port interface to the design and I think I have it wired in a way that should work.

The board is probably larger than it needs to be, but I wanted to keep it single sided so anyone (well me) can make it easily on a CNC machine. I would welcome anyone's view and constructive criticism of the project. I have put the files on github: https://github.com/smartroad/GRBL-LinuxCNC-Controller and the files are Eagle although I have added a PNG of the circuit.

cvoinescu

Re: Combo GRBL/LinuxCNC stepper board

Post by cvoinescu » Wed May 28, 2014 2:54 pm

The GAUPS is available in the UK. (I should know, I sell them.)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

smartroad

Post by smartroad » Wed May 28, 2014 3:22 pm

cvoinescu wrote:The GAUPS is available in the UK. (I should know, I sell them.)
Bought :) Google isn't my friend anymore! Seriously, I searched for over an hour on and off to find a UK seller of a shield like yours. I would still like to have a way to connect it to a LinuxCNC machine, maybe an adapter 'shield'... hmmm... (go on, now tell me there is one, dash all my dreams :lol: :lol: )

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed May 28, 2014 3:35 pm

There isn't, but you can easily wire the shield to a parallel port instead of an Arduino. It just doesn't look as nice as one made for that.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk