Stepper motors

RedOko
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: TX

Re: Stepper motors

Post by RedOko » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:53 pm

@edward,

Did you enlarge the hole to fit the 22mm diameter step on the Nema 17 stepper motor for the inventables batch. This will be my first recommendation so that they don't have to put washers on the motors and ensure the motor is flush with the motor mounth.
Luis
aka "RedOko"

edwardrford
Posts: 1250
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: Dixon, IL
Contact:

Re: Stepper motors

Post by edwardrford » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:55 pm

I haven't made any modification to the parts as of yet.
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

lasershark1
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:52 am

Re: Stepper motors

Post by lasershark1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:12 pm

kargofab wrote:My motors arrived from Phidgets. They appear to be good quality. I got the 0.9 degree NEMA 23s and the 1.8 degree NEMA 17s as I didn't feel the extra resolution on the Z-axis was compelling.

Will post more when I've tested them!

-m
Are you in the US, and if so, were you nailed for customs charges? I just placed and order and am trying to estimate any other charges I may get hit for.

kargofab
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:30 am

Re: Stepper motors

Post by kargofab » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:25 pm

lasershark1 wrote:
kargofab wrote:My motors arrived from Phidgets. They appear to be good quality. I got the 0.9 degree NEMA 23s and the 1.8 degree NEMA 17s as I didn't feel the extra resolution on the Z-axis was compelling.

Will post more when I've tested them!

-m
Are you in the US, and if so, were you nailed for customs charges? I just placed and order and am trying to estimate any other charges I may get hit for.
Hi lasershark1,

I'm in Canada, so Phidgets was fairly attractive for me for exactly the reason you outlined. I do find that often packages to the US "sneak through" if they're fairly low value and USPS.

-m

edwardrford
Posts: 1250
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: Dixon, IL
Contact:

Re: Stepper motors

Post by edwardrford » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:29 pm

Are we talking about customs charges coming into the US? I've never heard of that before.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

CptanPanic
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:14 pm

Re: Stepper motors

Post by CptanPanic » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:58 am

What about NAFTA? I don't think there is customs fees.

MLange
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:23 am
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada

Re: Stepper motors

Post by MLange » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:22 pm

CptanPanic wrote:What about NAFTA? I don't think there is customs fees.
You probably won't get charged duty on the items, but you may be charged sales tax plus a handling fee. At least that's how it is for things coming into Canada.
Shapeoko #280 (Inventables Batch #1)

khi
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:34 am

Re: Stepper motors

Post by khi » Tue May 22, 2012 1:57 am

Hey, I ordered my stepper motors from Phidgets as well. I picked up two of the NEMA-23 motors and since Sparkfun was out of the NEMA-17 motors at the time, I picked up the one from the Phidgets site.

http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?product_id=3302_0

Does anyone else buy one of these? Looking at the specs it should be equivalent to the Sparkfun one. But I wonder if it really is 0.9 deg step angle. My first clue was the step angle marking on the label was redacted by a black permanent marker. Also when I spin the shaft, the gradiations "feel" bigger than on the 0.9 NEMA-23s.

I guess one way to really find out is hook it up and test it out, but I'm still waiting to get my stepper shield. Thanks

PS - no customs or other problems with the shipping from Canada to Virginia.

bradl001
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:40 am

Re: Stepper motors

Post by bradl001 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:25 pm

I haven't gotten steppers yet but the Phidgets motors are on my short list. There's a recent thread about steppers from Circuit Specialists and some of their NEMA23 motors have twice the torque as the NEMA23 from Phidgets at a similar price.

That said, how do you like these and would you get the same ones again?

I also live in Virginia. Are you near Reston?

Will Winder
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Hudson, MA
Contact:

Re: Stepper motors

Post by Will Winder » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:53 pm

khi wrote: http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?product_id=3302_0

Does anyone else buy one of these? Looking at the specs it should be equivalent to the Sparkfun one. But I wonder if it really is 0.9 deg step angle. My first clue was the step angle marking on the label was redacted by a black permanent marker. Also when I spin the shaft, the gradiations "feel" bigger than on the 0.9 NEMA-23s.
I think they are actually 0.9 deg. I mentioned it in my build log... http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... =382#p3518

You'd think they would have updated their website or give some sort of notification before shipping it out. They obviously were aware of the problem since the 0.9 was blacked out.
ShapeOko #367: Dual-Y drive, Belt on outside, 1000mm Y-Axis, DW660 Spindle, Nema-23 X/Y motors.

Primary developer on Universal Gcode Sender.

Post Reply