Main CPU Raspberry Pi

RedOko

Main CPU Raspberry Pi

Post by RedOko » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:07 pm

Anybody tried the Raspberry Pi yet to run the Linux version of any gcode streamer?
Luis
aka "RedOko"

Enraged

Re: Main CPU Raspberry Pi

Post by Enraged » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:38 pm

Has anyone actually received one yet? I put my order in the day they became available, still haven't gotten one...

sea2stars

Post by sea2stars » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:32 am

Best place to keep up to date is on raspberrypi.org.

I'm half expecting my Raspi and ShapeOko to arrive on the same day.

jahn

Post by jahn » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:30 am

Raspberry has one( but IMHO a big ) disadvantage.Raspberry uses Broadcom CPU, which is not good for the open community.It is almost impossible to get any datasheet and ( from my experience) Broadcom provides very poor support (f you do not have an agreement with them). Arduino( Atmel) has a quite different approach

CptanPanic

Post by CptanPanic » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:26 pm

jahn wrote:Raspberry has one( but IMHO a big ) disadvantage.Raspberry uses Broadcom CPU, which is not good for the open community.It is almost impossible to get any datasheet and ( from my experience) Broadcom provides very poor support (f you do not have an agreement with them). Arduino( Atmel) has a quite different approach
FYI: here is the Broadcom datasheet.

jahn

Post by jahn » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:44 am

Not sure what you mean by
FYI: here is the Broadcom datasheet.
You may mean BCM2835 ARM Peripherals (a part datasheet).As far as I know at least one of the Raspberry PI staff was( or even is) an employer of Broadcom.
But still note they have not published the whole datasheet but only a part.
In general Broadcom is not helpful to small companies nor to open comunities.I contacted Broadcom about 3 times ( offered even NDA) .And you can guess if they have ever replied. Or look at their forum and then compare with ATMEL forum. I do not know why an independent developers or small firms should spend their time and work with Broadcom products as long as there will be such bad Broadcom's policy.

CptanPanic

Post by CptanPanic » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:08 pm

jahn

Post by jahn » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:36 pm

Yes, that is what I thought it should be.
As I wrote earlier Broadcom does not support open (software/hardware )communities.
But Atmel does. Arduino is a good example. If there were no datasheet from Atmel, there would not have been any Arduino. (Try to ask Broadcom for a datasheet ...).

AtomSoft

Post by AtomSoft » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:54 am

I think a beagleboard-xm would be better to use. I have on here and as soon as i get my shapeoko kit you can bet i will try it out.
Blog / Store
Live to Love, Not to Hate.
You're not a failure because you don't make it, you're a success because you tried.
Do you like the help i give? Think i deserve a tip? DONATE

AtomSoft

Post by AtomSoft » Thu May 24, 2012 2:38 pm

just got my code for a Raspberry Pi. Total price for it alone with TAX(VAT) and S/H (5 weeks) is $50... its cheap but not sure if i should get it... I have a beagleboard xm... i barely use it.
Blog / Store
Live to Love, Not to Hate.
You're not a failure because you don't make it, you're a success because you tried.
Do you like the help i give? Think i deserve a tip? DONATE