Well I give up

Christine88

Re: Well I give up

Post by Christine88 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:48 pm

Damin69 wrote:Yeah Unforutunatly I had the same issue early on with the 8825 drivers. I noticed them getting very hot just doing my bench testing. I scrapped them and went to the SainSmart CNC Micro-Stepping Stepper Motor Driver 2M542 Bi-polar 2phase 4.2A Switch http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DFS ... UTF8&psc=1 4 of them with my C-10 BOB. With Mach3.
Gave my machine an Iron Man workout week ran my machine 10 Hours strait Zero Problems.
http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... =30#p36638

The price for 4 of those is a lot better than $300 for a gecko.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:55 pm

I've heard good things about those sainsmart drivers, never used them personally though.

The Gecko G540s have been around for 10+ years, have a huge userbase, and are basically bulletproof. You'll pay a more for them, compared to the sainsmart, but they will serve you well.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Christine88

Post by Christine88 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:49 pm

edwardrford wrote:I've heard good things about those sainsmart drivers, never used them personally though.

The Gecko G540s have been around for 10+ years, have a huge userbase, and are basically bulletproof. You'll pay a more for them, compared to the sainsmart, but they will serve you well.

-Edward
I'm leaning heavy toward Gecko but I want to sell my laser first.

Damin69

Post by Damin69 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:49 pm

Christine88 wrote:
edwardrford wrote:I've heard good things about those sainsmart drivers, never used them personally though.

-Edward
I probably would have gone Gecko also but really did not have the extra cash to spend on it. After reading the Reviews on the SainSmart drivers I picked up I am Not Disappointed. I bench tested them as soon as they came in and all worked great. They were very easy to hook up and are very solid. Seem to have very good heat sinks on them. Settings were very easy as they are all set up Dip Switches. I have done a few jobs with them so far and the biggest was the Memorial Plaque I made for my dads Funeral which entailed my machine running pretty much NON Stop for 10 hours strait. Just the front face of the memorial was over 93,000 lines of code. So I am very happy with them. Since I already had A BOB just buying different drivers after the 8825 Failure made sense to me. $160 shipped 2 days to me was a great deal.
Shapeoko 2 #6971
Upgrades
Makita 0701, Nema23s, ACME Z Axis, Nema 23 Belt drive
Expanded to 1000 x 1800
Electronics upgrade C-10 BOB, SainSmart ST-M5045 drivers, Mach3
Damin69's Build Log

Christine88

Post by Christine88 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:09 pm

Damin69 wrote:
Christine88 wrote:

-Edward
I probably would have gone Gecko also but really did not have the extra cash to spend on it. After reading the Reviews on the SainSmart drivers I picked up I am Not Disappointed. I bench tested them as soon as they came in and all worked great. They were very easy to hook up and are very solid. Seem to have very good heat sinks on them. Settings were very easy as they are all set up Dip Switches. I have done a few jobs with them so far and the biggest was the Memorial Plaque I made for my dads Funeral which entailed my machine running pretty much NON Stop for 10 hours strait. Just the front face of the memorial was over 93,000 lines of code. So I am very happy with them. Since I already had A BOB just buying different drivers after the 8825 Failure made sense to me. $160 shipped 2 days to me was a great deal.
That's a good price and they seem solid. I want to sell my laser and then I'll decide which way to go.

Alexj

Post by Alexj » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:29 pm

Christine,
Sorry to hear that you lost the drivers ,but now you got something that is rock solid.
I am also wanting to use the DRV8825 driver( because it is more affordable for me) , would you please tell us about the motors you used with ( the voltage and current and Induction and torque)? also the power supply ratings as well? also if you had heatsink and fan attached to keep the system cool.

Thanks alot
Alex

Christine88

Post by Christine88 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:21 am

Alexj wrote:Christine,
Sorry to hear that you lost the drivers ,but now you got something that is rock solid.
I am also wanting to use the DRV8825 driver( because it is more affordable for me) , would you please tell us about the motors you used with ( the voltage and current and Induction and torque)? also the power supply ratings as well? also if you had heatsink and fan attached to keep the system cool.

Thanks alot
Alex
Hi, yeah purchased the Shapeoko 2 as a kit so I used the nema 17 steppers that came with the kit. I used the power supplies recommend for the C10 breakout board and the 8825 controllers. As for heatsinks I used the ones that came with the 8825 which are pretty small. I didn't use cooling fans but probably should have. Those 8825s got so hot I couldn't even touch them. Thats too hot.

akhlut

Post by akhlut » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:48 am

Christine,

where did you get those DRV8825's from?

Christine88

Post by Christine88 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:11 am

akhlut wrote:Christine,

where did you get those DRV8825's from?
Pololu

akhlut

Post by akhlut » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:29 am

Those are pretty much crap. Poor heat management and a PITA to adjust. Like the rest of their boards. D:

I've sworn by these for a long time now - they have never let me down and I have yet to blow one up. http://www.panucatt.com/product_p/sd8825.htm