SuperPID help

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: SuperPID help

Post by WillAdams » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:48 am

Also, does this depend on electronics in the router? Or would it also work w/ the single speed Porter Cable?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:59 am

WillAdams wrote:Also, does this depend on electronics in the router? Or would it also work w/ the single speed Porter Cable?
No, you actually have to bypass the speed regulation and soft-start circuit in the router, if present, because it does not work with them.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:12 pm

Okay, then it looks as if we have another option for this:

$112.73 --- http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-450- ... B0046A8V4C

(looked, but can't find a part number equiv. to the DNP-611 --- found it, but it's even more expensive, and not black, never mind)

Should we set up a page on the wiki for this? Does the DWP-611 merit a stand-alone page? If so, do any others on the spindle option also want this?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

zamp

Post by zamp » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:51 pm

WillAdams wrote:
CastIrony wrote:I can easily control the speed with the knob between 5,000 and 30,000 rpm.
What governs the low end? I want 1--3,000 rpm...
The 611 is fan cooled, so the spindle needs to be turning fast enough to move the fan blades quickly enough to keep it cooled. That probably has something to do with how slowly it can be safely run. I don't know what other factors might limit the lowest safe operating speed.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:58 pm

Good point. I guess that's where the spindles w/ the pulley arrangements come into the fore.

zamp

Post by zamp » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:45 pm

zamp wrote: The 611 is fan cooled, so the spindle needs to be turning fast enough to move the fan blades quickly enough to keep it cooled. That probably has something to do with how slowly it can be safely run. I don't know what other factors might limit the lowest safe operating speed.
I've got my Dewalt DNP611 and a Super-PID. I've already modified the router to supply it with two 120VAC power feeds - one for the spindle and one for the LEDs. I reworked the wiring of the 611 a little so that the power switch built in to the router shuts off power from the first 120VAC line (powers the spindle), but the second 120AVC line into the router (powers the LED's power supply) is not turned off by the switch. So I should be able to flip the switch off to make sure the spindle won't turn if I chuck a drag knife or something similar into the spindle, but the LEDs cabremain on even with the router's spindle power switch turned off.

I've not yet installed the optical pickup for measuring the spindle's RPM. I chose to buy the temperature sensor with the Super-PID. I'll try to install both the optical pickup and temperature sensor this weekend. The Super-PID seems to be set up to only monitor temperature and doesn't seem to have provisions to do any of the following: adjust speed if a max temperature is reached, stop spindle if a max temperature is reached, output temperature in a way that another processor could read it, or turn on a hi temp output line that could be monitored by another processor. It would have been nice if the Super-PID had provisions for one or more of those temperature-related features.

At first I'll just keep an eye on the router temperature, but maybe I'll get fancy and monitor the temperature with something other than the Super-PID and figure out how to automatically pause a job if the router's temperature becomes too high.

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:38 pm

Honestly, while it's cool that Dewalt thought to put in LEDs, they're not very bright, and I don't think they'll illuminate much in practice. When I build my dust shoe, I may not worry much about covering them.

The 5000 rpm limit comes directly from the Super-PID. I think zamp is right, it was done to keep the fan running fast enough to cool the motor. There might also be issues with PID loop stability below 5000 rpms.

If you want to read more about it, the manual is very informative.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

rtlflatt

Post by rtlflatt » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:30 am

I don't have my router with me to check it out myself till next weekend.... But anybody think it'd be possible to swap out LEDs for brighter ones?
Shapeoko 3 #??? (Missing serial plate?)
Lulzbot Taz 5 (Heavily modified)

jayftee

Post by jayftee » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:08 pm

CastIrony wrote:I finally have everything together and working!

After getting the sensor positioned correctly, I glued everything into place, covered the tube with heatshrink, and cable tied it to the cord:

Then I wired everything up according to the drawing in the SuperPID manual:

And it all works! I can easily control the speed with the knob between 5,000 and 30,000 rpm. Once I get my Shapeoko assembled, I'll make a nicer enclosure and try out the PWM input.
I would have loved to see 2 more pictures, one that showed where and what you had to do to drill the inner casing, and the other, how you went about whiting out the shaft.

I must say, this simple mod, compared to the one where you have to remove the on/off switch seems a lot easier.

Jeff
Proud creator of Ike:Core, a 1 cubic foot work area FDM 3D printer based on CoreXY
Shapeoko 3 #00947, Aluminum Bed, Prototype Z Carriage, Porter Cable 450, Min/Max limit switches, Z-Probe, PreciseBits 1/4 & 1/8 Collets, Super-PID v2, IC Dust Shoe

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:00 am

jayftee wrote:
CastIrony wrote:I would have loved to see 2 more pictures, one that showed where and what you had to do to drill the inner casing, and the other, how you went about whiting out the shaft.

I must say, this simple mod, compared to the one where you have to remove the on/off switch seems a lot easier.

Jeff
So easy I didn't think to photograph it. And now that the tube is all glued into place, I'm not sure I could get it open without destroying the alignment.

If you open the lid, and flip it over so you're looking at the opposite side from where you make the new wiring connection, you should see a gap in the wires and other parts big enough for the tube. This gap is also where I painted the rotor (big disc-like thing inside that rotates with the rest of the shaft) with a regular White-Out cap brush. I also scribbled with a black marker on the nearby yellow plastic surfaces, so I wouldn't get a false positive reading from them.

Then all you have to do is drill the hole, insert the tube with the sensor glued to the inside, align it so it gets good readings from the Super-PID, and glue it in place.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.