Any Smoothieboard users who are also doing 3D printing?

etxbkst

Any Smoothieboard users who are also doing 3D printing?

Post by etxbkst » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:08 pm

I'm thinking about getting a smoothieboard since I want to do both 3d printing and CNC with my ShapeOko. Is anyone else doing this? If so, how easy is it to go from one to the other? What programs are you using for each?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Any Smoothieboard users who are also doing 3D printing?

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:19 pm

I had my Azteeg X5 mini attached to my Shapeoko 2 before I sold it --- while I only used it for 3D printing, there shouldn't've been any reason why I couldn't've sent a milling gcode file to the machine using repetierHost.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

etxbkst

Post by etxbkst » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:27 pm

It looks like the Azteeg is discontinued. Did you have any issues with it? I was thinking about getting the actual original smoothieboard, 4 axis. I've been working on using a Printrbot Printrboard. I found a cnc program that works with Marlin, but to get things to even begin to work I'm going to have to wire a resistor across the thermistor pins to trick the board into thinking its got a hotend. In the long run, I'm not sure I want to use a hacked together solution.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:31 pm

Azteeg X5 mini in-stock at Panucatt: http://www.panucatt.com/azteeg_X5_mini_ ... x5mini.htm (and that's the link from the Parts Overview page on the wiki)

I wrote up what I could on the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... teegX5mini

The only issue was getting the numbers right in the config file --- destroyed a hot end through my own stupdity.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

REdington

Post by REdington » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:42 am

etxbkst wrote: I found a cnc program that works with Marlin, but to get things to even begin to work I'm going to have to wire a resistor across the thermistor pins to trick the board into thinking its got a hotend.
What happens when you change the hotend min temp to "0" in marlin. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know if it works

You got the link to the marlin cnc program??.

etxbkst

Post by etxbkst » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:46 am

When I run the board without the thermistor wired to a resistor it stalls with the min temp error. It won't let me input any commands.

Here is the software: http://reprap.org/wiki/CNCGcodeController

I have had a chance to try it out yet.

REdington

Post by REdington » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:33 am

Well I just looked at marlin and the min temp is "5" and not the temp. When I get a chance to play with it, I'll try to undefine (//) it and see what happens. I know there got to be a way around it. Maybe as simple as instead of "5" it can be "0" I'll play tomorrow and let you know what I find out.

Thanks for the link.

I've built about 25 printers now and want to start playing with a router. Mechanically I can do about anything but when it comes to computer part I get lost. I know the work flow well enough with the printers now that I can draw something up in sketchup and print it. I still need to learn how to read and make G code yet.

REdington

Post by REdington » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:21 am

Got it going by going to marlin "configuration H" and adding "//" (2 backlash's) in front of the "define" on the "min temp 0" , "min temp 1" and "min temp 2" and uploading the changes. My mega with RAMPS now works without thermistors.
Now I have to get a router built and see if the Mega-Ramps will work with the link you gave me. I have a UNO-grbl shield for a backup in case I can't get it figured out.

etxbkst

Post by etxbkst » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:07 am

So, how does one access marlin's configuration H? I was under the impression that would require a firmware flash.

REdington

Post by REdington » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:24 am

Have you done anything with a Arduino yet?? If not you'll need to download the Arduino software and get the drivers installed so your computer can link to your Arduino. You'll also need the marlin download. Once you have the marlin open, look for the "INO" and open it up and you'll see the configuration H files. Almost everything is done in the config H file. Once you have everything the way you need it, you then upload it to the Arduino. I started building 2 routers tonight, so it'll be awhile before I can start playing with the Mega-Ramps on one of them.