high end or over the top

RobCee

Re: high end or over the top

Post by RobCee » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:08 am

I have a 2.4kg (5.25lb) spindle on my stock dimensioned ShapeOko2 and it is very heavy. I had to add stiffening to the X-Axis rails and bolt them together.
As Cvoinescu says, minimising the 'stick out' of the spindle is paramount, as you have huge potential leverage with the stock distances. Be prepared to spend a lot of time re-designing things, but that's part of the fun!
From a complexity perspective, I would avoid water cooled spindles on a ShapeOko. They add extra weight to the spindle, you have trouble routing more 'cables' and the benefit over an air cooled spindle doesn't seem to be worth the hassle of dealing with pumps and reservoirs.
You should be able to find one bundled with an inverter for about that kind of price though, unless you really want to source your own.
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

Jimf

Post by Jimf » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:55 pm

RobCee wrote: From a complexity perspective, I would avoid water cooled spindles on a ShapeOko. They add extra weight to the spindle, you have trouble routing more 'cables' and the benefit over an air cooled spindle doesn't seem to be worth the hassle of dealing with pumps and reservoirs.
You should be able to find one bundled with an inverter for about that kind of price though, unless you really want to source your own.
I do have a 2.2kw water cooled spindle on my big router. Although it is way to heavy for a Shapeoko. One nice thing about the water cooled is that I have run the spindle several hours at a time and it doesn't get very warm. On really short jobs, it might get to 72degreesF but never seen it higher than 87degreesF on longer jobs. Good for the life of the bearings/motor. I guess it is a bit quieter since no spinning cooling fan noise.

I just use a small pump running off a 5 volt wall wart and a 5gallon bucket of water. 50/50mix antifreeze and water. Haven't changed water or bothered with any kind of maintenance in over a year now.

Highly recommended for big heavy duty gantry routers. Wouldn't use anything else now. Works great.

thebenj

Post by thebenj » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:47 pm

I've found this one on eBay listed as 1kg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-600W-DC24 ... 4ad37a3498

looks like the ideal option, there is another with speed controller for a bit more, but something tells me the listed weight is wrong.

Hans

Post by Hans » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:18 pm

thebenj, that looks like it's the same DC motor they sell through the Inventables store (600W quiet cut spindle).
Shapeoko #1,123

thebenj

Post by thebenj » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:46 pm

Hans wrote:thebenj, that looks like it's the same DC motor they sell through the Inventables store (600W quiet cut spindle).
oh yes looks exactly the same, my well go for it once i decided on the rest