Any interesting power supply options?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Any interesting power supply options?

Post by WillAdams » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:25 pm

Asked after this on Twitter and the most interesting idea was to use an XBox 360 power supply, which is certainly inexpensive and easy to source.

Esp. interesting to me is that it affords both 12V and 5V if I understand things correctly?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

rtlflatt

Re: Any interesting power supply options?

Post by rtlflatt » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:12 am

also both a pc and xbox power supply have a 5v "always on" line in addition to the regular 5v line. meaning if it plugged in it provide 5v even when off. in pc PSU this is 2-3amps on the always on line on newer ones as far as i can tell. no clue how much xbox would provide tho
Shapeoko 3 #??? (Missing serial plate?)
Lulzbot Taz 5 (Heavily modified)

UnequalTech

Post by UnequalTech » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:45 am

Maybe a stupid question but what is the advantage of the 5v 'always on? I was looking at one of those 24v enclosed PSUs but I know I have both of these lying around somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shapeoko 2 #?? w/Makita RT 0701C

rtlflatt

Post by rtlflatt » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:01 am

UnequalTech wrote:Maybe a stupid question but what is the advantage of the 5v 'always on? I was looking at one of those 24v enclosed PSUs but I know I have both of these lying around somewhere
as long as psu is plugged in you can power anything that run on 5v and less than 3A (on most newer pc psu's) without having to turn it on and power motors or whatever you run on 12v. and it seperate from the "powered on" 5v line that has the higher amperage available. so lights, microcontroller, webcam, fan, whatever u can think of that u might want running with out using seperate power supply or powering up motors when u just want a light to help see as u make calibration adjustments or examine what you made or something.

or project for any uber geeks....
make a motion activated welcome message for when u approach your shapeoko that always on
<computer voice>Good afternoon Mr. _______</computer voice>

edit: was talking about PC psu only. no clue what amperage xbox one provides on always on 5v but doubt it 3A
Shapeoko 3 #??? (Missing serial plate?)
Lulzbot Taz 5 (Heavily modified)