Adding limit switches... Is this shield ok?

etxbkst

Adding limit switches... Is this shield ok?

Post by etxbkst » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:47 pm

I'm going to add limit switches so I can do tool changes with ease. Will the following shield work for wiring in the switches? http://www.amazon.com/Arduino-Proto-Shi ... ZFKR0837PA
I've researched a few on Amazon and it looks like some that say "stackable" aren't actually stackable. From what I'm reading, this on should be.

My wiring will be based on this post, http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 551#p19953.

cvoinescu

Re: Adding limit switches... Is this shield ok?

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:40 pm

That shield looks good to me.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

etxbkst

Post by etxbkst » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:07 pm

So... probably a stupid question, but since I'm a total noob at this sort of stuff I want to wire it up and test it via a breadboard before soldering anything to the protoshield. That should be as easy as male to female jumpers from Arduino to board to gShield, yes?

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:21 pm

You're thinking to connect the gShield to the Arduino using male-female jumper wires, so that you have access to the Arduino pins you need for the limit switches? I don't see a problem with that. You'll need to connect GND (connect two of them, because bad things can happen if it disconnects), D2 to D8, and IOREF. You probably also need IOREF for the pull-up resistors, so you'll need to split that one on your breadboard.

lordmundi

Post by lordmundi » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:10 am

that shield is fine, but one thing i've found really annoying with that shield (and almost all of them really) is that unlike a breadboard, there's no good way to connect things together other than making a solder bridge. I don't understand why circuit boards are sold like that... i mean fundamentally, you have to hook things together. what good is one solder hole not hooked to anything else?

they do have some connected holes in that IC section off to the side. That helps. I just don't know why they don't do a breadboard sort of layout on the whole thing.

But, to answer your question, that particular shield has all the pins to make that stackable.

etxbkst

Post by etxbkst » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:20 am

Is there any reason to not just go with a breadboard? Or is that too "temporary"?

lordmundi

Post by lordmundi » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:08 am

oh that's up to you... it all depends on what you want and what environment and requirements things will have.

rtlflatt

Post by rtlflatt » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:11 am

http://www.startingelectronics.com/proj ... rd-shield/

u can also get strip boards that are set up like breadboards https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12070
although those are out of stock at sparkfun right now tho. and not useful for use as a shield but useful for many other things
Shapeoko 3 #??? (Missing serial plate?)
Lulzbot Taz 5 (Heavily modified)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:48 pm

In my experience, breadboards are too temporary. If you leave them alone for months, the contacts start to worsen. I built some balanced-pair line drivers for composite video on breadboards, and they needed parts to be wiggled every now and then to resume working. Granted, they were low-quality, cheap breadboards, but my rule of thumb is that if i want something to work for more than a month, a breadboard is not the way to go.

I don't like stripboards (cutting fat traces is for the birds), but I like tri-pad perf boards. It seems like a good compromise. That said, I can get higher part density on ordinary perf board, so for a small board like that I actually prefer the isolated pads. I use tin-plated copper wire to join nearby pads, not solder bridges, and Kynar wire for longer distances. Also, I love soldering in plated holes. (De-soldering, not that much.) :)

etxbkst

Post by etxbkst » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:57 pm

This is kind of off topic, but while I wait for my supplies to come in I've been playing with my Arduino littleBits kit to learn some coding basics. Right now I am trying to us a roller switch as an input and a LED as an output. I want to do something basic: when the roller switch is pressed (or pressed and held) the LED turns on. When it's released it turns off. Here is what I have (Ignore the comments, I've switched things around a bit). I can't seem to get it to work. The LED stays on, and the roller switch does nothing.

Edit: figured it out!