Troublesome machine (Shapeoko2)

Mrimstad

Troublesome machine (Shapeoko2)

Post by Mrimstad » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:43 pm

Hello all.

I have tryed to find the cause of my problems but so far i havent been succesfull.
Ive taken my issue to both inventables and easel support, but nothing has helped my case.

I recently bought the shapeoko2, dumb as i just saw there is both a carvey and a shapeoko3 on the horizon if not allready out.
Went on to build it and was werry carefull to have everything working and seccured tightly with the wires etc.

So now, I use easel as the whole cnc with gcode is werry new and old to me.
I go trough the steps seccuring material, lowering the bit, and then applying power to the board and clicking set home position.
Then when i click lift spindle the machine totaly random lowers the bit instead and plunges it into the material
often ressulting in broken bits.

As i said, this is random. Sometimes the machine lifts and i can start the milling process.
But the initiall plunge is always to deep. Ending in both ruined material and bits.
This was a problem when i first tryed the machine but it eventualy came down to me having hight differences on the wasteboard.
I fixed this, yet now with the latest easel uppdate this is now back.

On request from eaqsel i remowed my neatly tucked wires and made sure they all are in contact and correctly.
I jogged the machine in all directions, recycled power and redid many times to try to replicate the problem.
I couldnt get the machine to fail.

So i started a new jobb, this time i jogged it upp and down beefore pressing the lift button making sure it worked in the right
directions, yet it still managed to plunge into the material instead of lifting.

I am out of things to try at this point and support is cluelss as of now.

This is a stock shapeoko 2, nema17's gbrl shield and arduino uno. I havent touched one bit of the machine or its software after changing the mask of one channel to make it right. (yes i did make a wireing mistake)

this is what gbrl spits out:

**** Connected to COM15 @ 9600 baud ****

Grbl 0.8c ['$' for help]
>>> $$
$0=40.020 (x, step/mm)
$1=40.020 (y, step/mm)
$2=320.000 (z, step/mm)
$3=30 (step pulse, usec)
$4=500.000 (default feed, mm/min)
$5=500.000 (default seek, mm/min)
$6=224 (step port invert mask, int:11100000)
$7=255 (step idle delay, msec)
$8=25.000 (acceleration, mm/sec^2)
$9=0.050 (junction deviation, mm)
$10=0.100 (arc, mm/segment)
$11=25 (n-arc correction, int)
$12=3 (n-decimals, int)
$13=0 (report inches, bool)
$14=1 (auto start, bool)
$15=0 (invert step enable, bool)
$16=0 (hard limits, bool)
$17=0 (homing cycle, bool)
$18=0 (homing dir invert mask, int:00000000)
$19=25.000 (homing feed, mm/min)
$20=250.000 (homing seek, mm/min)
$21=100 (homing debounce, msec)
$22=1.000 (homing pull-off, mm)
ok

I just dont see what could be wrong.
So i would be werry happy for any help i could get.

cvoinescu

Re: Troublesome machine (Shapeoko2)

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:15 pm

One thing to check is an offset in the default work coordinate system (G54). They are persistent, so resetting or powering off does not clear them. This command should clear the offset: G10 L2 P1 X0 Y0 Z0 . Try it, and see if it fixes the behavior.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:57 am

We do have a bit about these on the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... te_Systems
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Mrimstad

Post by Mrimstad » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:17 am

Thank you for the reply'es.
So am i right in assuming that one or two more emergancy stops and changing the spindel mounting possition might have caused this?
I thought it was fine to locate the machine zero by hand before applying power and that it just opperated out from that point on.

etxbkst

Post by etxbkst » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:31 am

It may not be what is wrong for you, but for me I had weird results from Easel, so I ended up going with Universal GCode Sender. Sometimes I would jog the z up and it would go down and vice versa. I also couldn't ever get it to properly mill because when it gets to the "lift the bit a little" it would lift it 2 or 3 inches and then home back down a couple mm.

Mrimstad

Post by Mrimstad » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:59 am

Well i had no issues in that regard.
The jogging always work in the direction it should, switching from inch to mm changes like it should.
When it lifts it homes down correctly.

Just the two issues like i described.