Touch plate and alternatives

woodworkerbob

Re: Touch plate and alternatives

Post by woodworkerbob » Wed May 20, 2015 12:30 am

cvoinescu wrote: As Will said: the push-down is a safety feature. It's still very much a touch plate.
Thank you. I missed the touch part with the inclusion of micro switch talk. My bad.

Is someone really smart out there looking at a G38 macro to implement this?

Bob
I've written gcode (really simple gcode), but never a macro before.
Shapeoko 3 - #13, dust deputy, precision collets, limit switches.
SVEMakerSpaces

rodcar125

Post by rodcar125 » Wed May 20, 2015 4:43 am

Jarretl posted a macro here when I was wondering about ATC (thanks Jarretl!) and think this is the best approach I could get with the S3. Since then, I started using chillipeppr and its great

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5873

I intend to install a spring-loaded touch plate at a fixed location so the machine goes automatically to that position after the tool change, apply the offset and resume milling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:24 pm

Fair enough.

Anyway, found another alternative: http://www.penntoolco.com/precise-zero- ... nt-setter/
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

RawIndDesign

Post by RawIndDesign » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:57 pm

Check this one out. . . 50mm is about the smallest you can find & its pretty cheap comparatively

http://www.shars.com/precision-magnetic ... x-0-01mm-1

But if any of you come up with a functioning Z-Zero Setting Probe/Z-Limit Switch already wired for the Carbide Board, I'd be happy to buy one off ya.

-Chris

woodworkerbob

Post by woodworkerbob » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:33 pm

rodcar125 wrote: I intend to install a spring-loaded touch plate at a fixed location so the machine goes automatically to that position after the tool change, apply the offset and resume milling.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe I'm just lazy, but I want a moveable touch plate. I'll place the touch plate on top of the material to be machine, jog the bit to directly over the touch plate, then run a macro to determine the new Z axis zero for this bit.

Auto tool changers are way cool. The high school has an 8 tool machine. It keeps a tool length offset table instead of a touch plate. The machine's name: "Sweet Vickie". It's true.

Bob
Shapeoko 3 - #13, dust deputy, precision collets, limit switches.
SVEMakerSpaces