SuperPID Wired Wrong-ish & Z axis Interference

newtothis

SuperPID Wired Wrong-ish & Z axis Interference

Post by newtothis » Sat May 30, 2015 1:00 pm

I followed the exact instructions to wire the sensor in thru the DWP611 case. Others followed this too. Problem is if you put Improbable Constructs Dust shoe on (there's only one orientation to do it)... The SuperPid sensor comes out the BACK of the router and therefore will interfere with the Z axis. How do I know this? Cause I wired everything solidly in before I figured this out. Pause for laughing now. So I've heard there is a way to wire the sensor in to the case, closer to the power cable. Since I'm using a dust shoe, the not very bright LED lights are useless really.

On the DWP611, there's a bunch of electronics and wiring in the way. Can I yank those alone or do I need to pull off entire speed controller (which is dead anyway) and figure a new wiring scheme? Anyone else figure this one out?

Plus the way SuperPID says to put the sensor tube in rests on top of one of the brush grounds. So when you want to change your brushes, there's gonna be a problem.
Shapeoko 3 #304

GoSpeedRacer

Re: SuperPID Wired Wrong-ish & Z axis Interference

Post by GoSpeedRacer » Sat May 30, 2015 2:50 pm

Here's how I did mine.... Routes right next to power cable and the electronics are super easy to remove.... No soldering but you do have to join two wires. I chose a clamp but soldering or crimping is fine too. Note I'm using the porter cable but same router

Anyway, here are some pics. They will probably work better than me trying to describe it.

Get rid of this.....

And this is what's left....

Connect these....

And reroute the wires thru the switch....

And drill these....

A little paint....

And insert tube and sensor...

newtothis

Post by newtothis » Sat May 30, 2015 4:30 pm

Nice. I can tell almost everything from the great pics. So I have only a few questions. In my router the long black wire coming from the power cord is connected in left terminal of the switch. Yours is on the right terminal. Does it matter? The black wire with the red collar - that's connected right? In yours it appears to be on the left terminal of the switch. Plus that same wire in mine is not long enough to reach the switch so I'll have to extend it.
Shapeoko 3 #304

GoSpeedRacer

Post by GoSpeedRacer » Sat May 30, 2015 8:25 pm

Yeah I swapped the wires where it went to the switch to make it easier, doesn't matter it was all about making it fit. iirc I may have the switch flipped around too. I did notch the plastic for the wire. Easy to extend, but easier to just make it fit haha

Black wire with red collar is on the other pole of the switch. I bent the terminal to make it reach

newtothis

Post by newtothis » Sat May 30, 2015 9:17 pm

Thank you so much. I've followed your pics and I'm in good shape. One last question. The brass tube. I got one of those too. It fits perfectly. I think you said you covered your brass tube with heat shrink. Why? Is there an electrical reason or a fit reason for that?
Shapeoko 3 #304

GoSpeedRacer

Post by GoSpeedRacer » Sat May 30, 2015 10:39 pm

Actually what I did was cut off the heat shrink from the super pid sensor and built up a few layers of my own heat shrink to fit the tube I chose. No reason really just didn't like the blue hahaha

I used shoo goo to hold it in. I had it in test mode, and fiddled with the sensor until I got the best results, then let it cure overnight. Shoo goo is the best stuff you can use, like a hybrid between silicone and superglue

newtothis

Post by newtothis » Sat May 30, 2015 11:16 pm

Ah got it. So you didn't cover the brass tube, you re-covered the sensor. I've used something like shoo goo.
Have you ever tried Bondic? Liquid Plastic that hardens rock hard and very strong after you shine UV light on it in a few seconds.
Stuff is amazing. And very permanent. Sandable. Drillable.
Not cheap but worth it. On my 4 or 5th tube. The little light that comes with it is a pain so I bought a UV flash light for $5 bucks. More UV, so it cures even faster.

http://notaglue.com

Amazon sells it in a couple of kit forms.
Shapeoko 3 #304

Bunker195

Post by Bunker195 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:15 pm

@ SpeedRacer - nice job!

I almost the same thing as far as the electronics go, but, yours looks so much nicer than mine - I was all proud of my work, but, now I'm embarrassed :lol: