S3 stops mid-job

jfdotcom

S3 stops mid-job

Post by jfdotcom » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:53 pm

I've been cutting test items for nearly a week now without any problem aside from a metric/imperial switch exclusively using UGS because Carbide Motion wouldn't run on my old notebook. I changed notebooks to something modern and did several test cuts this morning without issue but not for long.

I'm having an issue in both UGS and Carbide Motion in which in the middle of a job (67KB file size). It's stopped twice in different places (once in UGS and again in CM) so I don't believe the problem to be the file. When the job freezes, it simply stops cutting. UGS continues sending commands and Carbide Motion seems to just pause but I can no longer control the job (pausing either application) and jogging the machine after which doesn't work, commands are simply no longer recognized.

Device manager still the device is still listed under the COM ports but the only way to get it to come back is to cut power to the controller, unplug the USB cable, and then replug and I can again do it. I thought it was a loose USB cable so I tried a different one with the same results plus if it were a USB cable issue, I would think that the COM port would disappear from device manager.

I noticed when this happens, the flashing comunication lights on the controller stop and I only have the blue power light.

I went back to the old notebook and it has the same problem. Nothing has changed in the past week that I can find to cause this outside of the machine itself.
Attachments
part-48s-30-40-50-120.nc
(65.71 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
S3 #342 07/2015
My website
YouTube Channel

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: S3 stops mid-job

Post by WillAdams » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:15 pm

Humidity?

Check to see if static electricity buildup is causing the USB disconnect?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:24 am

I had the same problem, tried all sorts of things. Eventually the problem revealed itself. ...the power supply (24V) finally failed and the reason it was stopping mid job was the power fluctuations (which I could finally see of an oscilliscope) cause tntthe problem. Have since ordered a new one.

Andrew

jfdotcom

Post by jfdotcom » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:06 pm

It totally makes sense when you think about it because the USB/Serial doesn't disappear since it's powered with host power but the rest of the device comes from the external 24V. I have a UPS I'll try this with to see if it solves anything.

It's unfortunate to hear because I really like the power supply setup compared to the giant box that Inventables is shipping and I probably have less than an hour of cutting no job longer than about 3 minutes so far.
S3 #342 07/2015
My website
YouTube Channel

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:19 pm

Exactly. ..the controller logic gets 5v from the usb which is enough to keep the connection. Not sure a UPS will help, see if yoj can put a scope on tne line, kr simply check 24v is actually being put out. Mine was down to 12v before it died completely.

I ordered this:
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-24V-1 ... 50578.html

jfdotcom

Post by jfdotcom » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:54 pm

The power supply has 4 pins with an outer shield. What should each pin/shield be, 6V?
S3 #342 07/2015
My website
YouTube Channel

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:35 pm

Hi, on the power supply end, there is a white Molex plug with 4 pins.
Yellow and White are GND, Red and Black are +24v. e.g Connector divided in half, with 2 pins on one side of the cable being + and the other 2 pins being -
Colouring is unusual (would have expected Blk to be GND and Red to be +24v), but seems to be the way on my cable. Worth checking though.

Not sure how it meters to the control board end, the easiest would be to measure on the far end of the board, there is an unused connector tab PWR1 which has GND and +24v

Hope this helps

jfdotcom

Post by jfdotcom » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:59 pm

I just cut the same three minute job three times without a stoppage. What did happen though was when I powered off the router, I lost control of jogging via the PC. I can unplug/replug the power and USB and get it back (after closing Carbide Motion).

I'm really wondering if this is an EMI issue?

24V pre/post stoppage using the empty header pins on the edge opposite the connectors and 5V pre/post on the pins on the bottom.
S3 #342 07/2015
My website
YouTube Channel

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:05 am

Hmm could be, noise through the 110/220 input form the router making it's way through the power supply, but unlikely as switch mode power supplies are very good at filtering all that out (I used to repair them).
Mine would stop jobs intermittently, sometimes it would ok, sometimes it wouldn't (maybe 20-30% failure)....until it failed.

I'd give it a large bogus job, with the router turned off...and see if it completes. That would eliminate the router noise possibility. Tricky though!

jfdotcom

Post by jfdotcom » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:45 am

I'll give the long air job a try. If that succeeds, I'm going to twist my router around so it's power is fed from a different direction than the power for the electronics.

I don't have a scope to test anything, just a multimeter.
S3 #342 07/2015
My website
YouTube Channel