S3 stops mid-job

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: S3 stops mid-job

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:13 am

Checked the one on my Makita and am pleased to report that a magnet was attracted to it, and that it had branding (Emag) which seemed to support it being useful.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Defy

Post by Defy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:37 am

Mine cut out on one job 2 times but I just assumed it was a bad file. Turned everything off and restarted it and it did the full cut just fine...

jfdotcom

Post by jfdotcom » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:35 pm

It looks like Amazon has ferrite snap-ons for a few bucks each. I might just get one and put it on there anyway.

I did successfully cut with the router on a separate circuit without issue even with the wires all being piled atop another as before.

I really dislike the whole double insulated loophole for not having ground lugs.
S3 #342 07/2015
My website
YouTube Channel

jfdotcom

Post by jfdotcom » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:15 pm

Pried that stupid collar off; no ferrite, just a stupid theft tag:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwlJck ... sp=sharing
S3 #342 07/2015
My website
YouTube Channel

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:19 pm

So my new power supply turned up, and and I was still getting an issue.

I've turned my windows laptop (running carbide motion) power setting to never turn off the screen, HDD or anything while on AC power. Fully on the whole time. I have disabled automatic installation of windows updates, and made sure the USB controllers always maintain power (controller panel/device settings).

So far it's been running 3hrs jobs with my laser etcher (so I don't waste wood) perfectly. I've also tried turning the vacuum on/off, router on/off and it's not been an issue.

woodworkerbob

Post by woodworkerbob » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:43 pm

I get the same symptoms. Added ferrite beads/rings see: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6613

I did the air cut, router not running: success. Air cut, router running: success. I've also done several jobs engraving with 90 and 60 degree V bits without problems. I get the drop when the router starts cutting something more than a tiny cut. You can hear the router noise change slightly when the cut begins, minor RPM drop and recover, then the job stop.

Bob
Shapeoko 3 - #13, dust deputy, precision collets, limit switches.
SVEMakerSpaces

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:15 am

Curious how you got on...did you find a source of the problem?

woodworkerbob

Post by woodworkerbob » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:33 pm

apspurgeon wrote:Curious how you got on...did you find a source of the problem?
Not yet. Spent so much time debugging the SO3 several honey-do projects became critical. I won't be getting back to the SO3 until Aug 10 or 11.

Will shout to the high heavens when the problem is resolved.

Bob
Shapeoko 3 - #13, dust deputy, precision collets, limit switches.
SVEMakerSpaces

Dale Chambers

Post by Dale Chambers » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:01 am

I recently set up my Shapeoko 3 for a first go. I used a 10 ft USB cable and quickly became frustrated when nothing worked even with no spindle in the mix. UGS connected after about 30 seconds but Carbide Motion was unable to connect. I changed the cable to a 6 ft cable and was able to connect with flaky results. After installing the 4 ft cable that came with the machine I got reliable results. (No spindle mounted or working)
It seems one of the most troubling topics on this form is the unresolved and erratic connection and interruption problems encountered by users.
Now, if you mount a motor with brushes less than a foot away from an electronics control board using low level USB signals and you do nothing to provide EMI shielding what do you expect.
I have ordered some copper screening to fabricate a Faraday cage around the controller board. I hope that does the trick. The USB cable is still in the EMI field and it makes a dandy antenna if it is not well shielded. So I also ordered a double shielded USB cable and a bunch of Ferrite beads (for the steppers, the 24V power and the USB cables) .

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:47 pm

Hi there, agreed on the USB shielding. I had the same is with a Tesla coil that plays music via fibre optic cable. There was a USB cable driving transmission through the fibre optics, and it would fail intermittently and I resolved by wrapping the USB cable in tin foil. Most USB cables have shielding but it's a mesh and essentially transparent to high frequency interference.

I've been running the SO3 easily with my laser mod, and not seen any issues....so erring to the router being the source of the problem. I'm also seeing some parallel to the depth of the cut (how hard the router works) with failures.

I'm going to run a series of tests with shielding over the weekend