S3 stops mid-job

RoguePirin

Re: S3 stops mid-job

Post by RoguePirin » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:11 pm

Neppo1345 wrote:I've seen a large decrease in disconnects after grounding my router. I expect I would see even further improvement if I ran copper braid from the router to the gantry, and again from the gantry to the frame.

I took a 3-wire power cable from an old desktop PC and connected it in place of the stock power cord of the router, and tied the ground pin to the case of the router.

I have some pictures of the mod I can post up once I get home from work if anyone has any interest.
Yes, I'd be interested in seeing those photos. I planned to do something similar, but was unsure how to connect earth ground to the router body.
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2

jfdotcom

Post by jfdotcom » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:36 pm

I was looking at the exploded diagram of the DWP611 on eReplacementParts but it didn't answer the question. Has anyone disassembled their router to see if the actual router metal body is connected to anything else inside of the unit of if it's isolated with plastic or rubber from everything else?
S3 #342 07/2015
My website
YouTube Channel

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:48 pm

jfdotcom wrote:I was looking at the exploded diagram of the DWP611 on eReplacementParts but it didn't answer the question. Has anyone disassembled their router to see if the actual router metal body is connected to anything else inside of the unit of if it's isolated with plastic or rubber from everything else?

You could ohm out between the neutral and body.

TomDChi

Post by TomDChi » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:04 pm

I was hoping to find a way to use electrical continuity to zero out the Z height after tool changes without messing with an alligator clip on the endmill, and I couldn't find anything that didn't spin that consistently had continuity with the "spinny bits." That said, I didn't dig too deep under the plastic - I clipped to the endmill with one multimeter lead and then probed around on whatever was easy to touch.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:47 pm

Neutral will never, ever be connected to an exposed metal part of an appliance. You meant ground, or earth. If the plug has just two contacts, then there will be no connection at all to exposed parts. If it has three, measure between the ground pin and the metallic part in question.

Or look for a "class" designation on the rating label: Class I must have exposed metallic parts connected to protective earth, Class II must not use the earth/ground connection. Class II appliances usually have a square-in-square symbol too (meaning double insulation). Handheld power tools tend to be Class II (no connection to earth).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:54 pm

cvoinescu wrote:Class II must not use the earth/ground connection.
Must not, or does not? Are we potentially breaking some rule of electrical safety by wanting to earth ground the router body?
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:38 am

Must not, but that's the rule for appliance makers. You can connect it and it doesn't hurt anything; it's double-insulated inside, after all. If you want to make the router and Shapeoko 3 into one "appliance" from the point of view of the regulations, though, once you connect any part to earth, it becomes Class I, and you must connect all exposed parts to earth (so you should also connect the gantry and the frame). What the regulations say it's either all exposed parts earthed, or nothing earthed but double-insulated throughout. As far as I know, the classes apply to appliances as sold, not to the systems we make when we join them together. It's common to connect Class I and Class II appliances together -- think PC and external hard drive with a wall wart -- which is why I don't think it's a problem at all.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:06 pm

Carbide is sending me a replacement board with updated ESD protections to try and solve my issues. Fingers crossed.

KAScnc

Post by KAScnc » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:53 pm

Fablicator wrote:Carbide is sending me a replacement board with updated ESD protections to try and solve my issues. Fingers crossed.
Been trying to contact you. Placed an order 10 days ago for a (black) switch kit that was showing in stock. Sent email and a PM, all go unanswered.

Neppo1345

Post by Neppo1345 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:11 am

RoguePirin wrote:
Neppo1345 wrote:I've seen a large decrease in disconnects after grounding my router. I expect I would see even further improvement if I ran copper braid from the router to the gantry, and again from the gantry to the frame.

I took a 3-wire power cable from an old desktop PC and connected it in place of the stock power cord of the router, and tied the ground pin to the case of the router.

I have some pictures of the mod I can post up once I get home from work if anyone has any interest.
Yes, I'd be interested in seeing those photos. I planned to do something similar, but was unsure how to connect earth ground to the router body.
I used an old cable from a PC power supply. Double check your cord to make sure your new cord is the same wire gauge as the OEM cord (18AWG). Also, keep in mind this is 120V AC (at least here in the U.S.). If you connect things wrong it can KILL YOU.

Mocked up:

Slotted to let spade connector clamp up on metallic router body (not the perfect solution, but it works):

Ready to go back together:

I'm still running a 7mm ferrite choke on the router power cable, and using a USB cable with a ferrite choke built into each end. I've had one or two dropouts since the mod, but at least one of them was caused by static from my vacuum hose sucking up Kydex chips.

Full Writeup: http://engineerinback.com/shapeoko-3-dropped-connection