S3 stops mid-job

RoguePirin

Re: S3 stops mid-job

Post by RoguePirin » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:57 pm

Great! Thanks for the write-up. I hope to replace my cord in the next week or two; this will be a great reference.
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2

jfdotcom

Post by jfdotcom » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:55 am

I'm starting to believe Murphy's Law applies.

I left it connected for the last 4 hours, jogged it occasionally with the router both on and off, same goes for jogging with a vac running -- absolutely no problems.

Mount a new piece of plywood, 1 minute into a 5 minute circle cutting job, splat.
S3 #342 07/2015
My website
YouTube Channel

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:50 am

jfdotcom wrote:I'm starting to believe Murphy's Law applies.

I left it connected for the last 4 hours, jogged it occasionally with the router both on and off, same goes for jogging with a vac running -- absolutely no problems.

Mount a new piece of plywood, 1 minute into a 5 minute circle cutting job, splat.
Murphyoko's Law. It's open source and requires the latest version of grbl.

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:09 am

Try putting a capacitor across the 24v power line. Im on holiday but will keep playing around when I keep back, however tbe short test I ran before going away made a bid difference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTMeF72gSF8&sns=em

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:29 am

apspurgeon wrote:Try putting a capacitor across the 24v power line. Im on holiday but will keep playing around when I keep back, however tbe short test I ran before going away made a bid difference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTMeF72gSF8&sns=em
Great information.

I'm using a galvanic USB isolator, so I am leaning towards the static discharge causing my disconnects being transferred thru the DC power input. I'm not fortune enough to have an oscilloscope to trace the interference.

I've been considering placing a 24VDC surge suppressor inline for the DC power( not inexpensive), or just trying a 27 V Zener diode across the 24VDC to try to suppress the static discharge on line voltage.

What is the value of the capacitor you are using?

Have you measured the AC noise on the DC power with the router mounted in Z axis powered on?

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:10 am

It was a 1000uf cap, the noise was mostly from the stepper motors, the cap helped but didnt remove all the noise. Ill do more tests whenim home but im pretty sure this isnt static. Static is caused by the movement of non conducting surfaces. Ive grounded all my metal frames and I was getting failures with a vacuum running

KAScnc

Post by KAScnc » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:14 pm

I might of gone overboard but I ended up using ferrite cores on just about everything. Each stepper motor; both ends of the power supply, USB, DW611, and vacuum. Isolated the router and controller using kapton tape. I've also earth grounded the vacuum hose by running a wire through the inside and around the outside of the hose.

I'm basically tossing the kitchen sink at it since SparkFun is not returning any of my emails regarding the disconnecting Stepoko controller.

Bulk ferrite cores : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016XE2BS0?

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:21 pm

I noticed in my last batch of tests, REALLY heavy cutting in aluminum (.05" stepover, .1875" DOC, 60mm/s) would cause disconnects withing a matter of a minute or two, while light cuts of .083" DOC would run for an hr without issue until I turn off the router.

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:08 pm

I noticed something similar, and I suspect heavy workloads putnot strain on the steppers as they hold the pisition, therefore increasing the noise seen on the oscilliscope. Im more interested in the same problems in previous post from a Sparkfun unit, that uses a different control board.

TomDChi

Post by TomDChi » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:15 am

Interesting. When running the SO3 from my Mac laptop with the laptop plugged in (power supply does not have a 3rd ground pin) I was getting frequent disconnects when milling MDF with a 3/16" ball end mill (standard DeWalt DW611).

I was running and re-running the same inside-out spiral 3d pattern - I'd run it, get so far and get a disconnect/stall. I'd re-home, re-zero and re-run the code... several times. Each time it would get farther out on the spiral pattern, and would seem to disconnect when under load. I inferred it was the router getting noisier as the endmill engaged the workpiece material, but it certainly could be from the stepper motors, all of which were working on the 3d pattern.

By disconnecting the laptop from the power supply, I was able to get much longer runs without disconnects (in one case about an hour, I believe.) I was more limited by the available battery on the laptop than mid-job disconnects. (I still get disconnects when turning the router off.)

I was about to buy some noise suppressing stuff for the router (Tripp Lite Isobar) and finally put a ferrite core on the router power cord, as I'd like to be able to run the SO3 off of my laptop when plugged in or the desktop box I've got nearby (which also has mid-job disconnects.)

Even if this is from noise from the stepper motors, at least in my case, having the laptop run off its battery seems to greatly reduce mid-job disconnects for me.

I may try a USB isolator instead first.