S3 stops mid-job

RoguePirin

Re: S3 stops mid-job

Post by RoguePirin » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:22 am

461oceanblvd wrote:Not sure if you meant to respond to me, but I linked the cable I used in the previous post, and plugged it into the 1x6 pin connector in the bottom middle seen here:
Yes, I meant to respond to you; thanks for catching my mistake and responding anyway.

So, you are referring to the connector labelled serial_programmer? Did you add the pins on there? I have v2.2 of the controller, and my pins are not there (just the pads).

I saw the cable that you linked to, but I still would like to know how you connected it. The picture on the SparkFun website shows a black wire at one end of the terminal, and a green wire at the other end. Did you connect it to the serial_programmer pins with the black wire towards the outside of the board, or towards the inside?

Thanks.
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2

B NEGATIVE

Post by B NEGATIVE » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:41 pm

Finally......

B NEGATIVE

Post by B NEGATIVE » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:38 pm

apspurgeon wrote:The capacitor would ideally be over 25v (e.g 60v) but it should be ok. You'll know if you hear a pop :o)

Would be very interested in results of others who have been having problems, and if the capacitor helps. We should feed this info back to Edward.
The oscilloscope results are the most empirical evidence of the so far. All the other 'fixes' are educated guesses based on good reason...but harder to prove
Ok,my issues are gone now,12 jobs later with everything on the same strip (PC,VFD,Florescent light,SO3,Vac) and not one drop out or odd behavior to report.
I even took the USB ISO off and it still doesnt blink.

That oscilloscope test has been a lifesaver,thanks for that.

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:37 am

Awesome to hear....I've not had a failure either after the cap (and I've tried REALLY hard to make it fail)

The other things tried helped, but agree this seems to have nailed it

atrueresistance

Post by atrueresistance » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:24 pm

Yeah even after the cap install I have disconnect problems, as you can see from the video.

Though, I do have less disconnects then before. Prior to the capacitor anytime the dewalt was turned off you lost serial.

I guess for now the kegerator will have to be unplugged...
Shapeoko 1 #unknown
Shapeoko 3 #572
Checkout my Etsy Store

B NEGATIVE

Post by B NEGATIVE » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:06 pm

Ground the machine or at least the spindle mount.

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:40 am

It's a different board version from mine (I have an earlier one) so I assuming you have the cap in the right place/way around. Silly question I know but checking

Agree with B Negative to ground the frame and spindle, but the biggest thing to try is ground the laptop

The USB cable has a shield and it's grounded at the ShapeOko end...I found that grounding the laptop (they usually dont have an earth from the ac adapter) will make a big difference.

An easy thing to try to confirm this is the issue is run the laptop off the battery and see if you still get those disconnects. If the problem goes away ground the laptop (easiest way is plug another USB cable in and wire the cable shield to earth), if you used a desktop PC it's grounded so we're not doing anything crazy here

See how you get on

Failing that I found milling under tin foil pyramid helps, but only on a full moon

B NEGATIVE

Post by B NEGATIVE » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:17 pm

Just to add to this,my rig is a proper workstation machine,not a laptop. So YMMV.....perhaps that is a caveat of the success I have had.

Just running the laptop on battery should help,it will certainly confirm/deny if its a causation factor.

atrueresistance

Post by atrueresistance » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:36 pm

apspurgeon wrote: It's a different board version from mine (I have an earlier one) so I assuming you have the cap in the right place/way around. Silly question I know but checking
Wouldn't the cap explode if placed in reverse?
apspurgeon wrote: Agree with B Negative to ground the frame and spindle, but the biggest thing to try is ground the laptop
I use a razor blade to run the Shapeoko, which does have the ground plug on the 150w power brick. It could be because the blade only has usb 3.0. Got a hold of Jorge over at Carbide, they are working on another board revision and are sending me a slightly more modified 2.3v board to test out. Their customer support is top notch.
Shapeoko 1 #unknown
Shapeoko 3 #572
Checkout my Etsy Store

jfdotcom

Post by jfdotcom » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:40 am

C3D's support really has taken a great turn since Jorge started dealing with the customers. I really +1 it
S3 #342 07/2015
My website
YouTube Channel