S3 stops mid-job

apspurgeon

Re: S3 stops mid-job

Post by apspurgeon » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:25 am

If it (cap) was in reverse it might swell and complain yes....tantalum caps are great at exploding but that is another story. To confirm put a meter over the cap and make sure you've got 24v and in the polarity you expected.

Not sure what razor blade is, but in the video it looked like you had a laptop running the SO3? If you do have a laptop, try it without on the battery (no AC) and/or grounding the case.
Check it with a meter, and that the metal on the laptop (e.,g USB connectors/VGA etc) meter to ground on the wall plug.

Edward confirmed that the cap fixed the problem in all their tests too, and they're making a change to the board. It might be this Jorge is referring to...not sure.

B NEGATIVE

Post by B NEGATIVE » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:35 pm

jfdotcom wrote:C3D's support really has taken a great turn since Jorge started dealing with the customers. I really +1 it

I agree,Jorge has been really on it,he even green lighted me to mod the board to see whats what,I work with electronics manufacturers and this never happens,C3D have kept with their enthusiast roots thankfully. :D

dws

Post by dws » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:46 pm

I have also added a 1000 uF 50 volt capacitor to my V2.1 board. Although it may have helped, I am still getting disconnects when I shut off my router Dewalt DW611. It happens about 10% of the time. My next step will be to add a grounded cord on the router.

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:56 pm

All I can find near me is a 1000uF 35V, I'll give it a try. Hopefully it will stop the remaining disconnects I am experiencing.

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:54 am

35v will be fine,

Curious for those who are still getting disconnects with the cap, are you running a laptop or PC, and if a laptop do you still get the disconnects with the laptop running from battery?

dws

Post by dws » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:46 am

apspurgeon wrote:Curious for those who are still getting disconnects with the cap, are you running a laptop or PC, and if a laptop do you still get the disconnects with the laptop running from battery?
I am getting disconnects with the capacitor, running a PC, while turning off the router.

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:24 am

Hmm....PC's (should) have the USB shield at ground/earth through to the wall (can you confirm you can meter from the USB connector outer to the wall outlet). Double check if you haven't already that you are getting 24v across the cap.

So my mods are:
1 - Capacitor across the 24v line
2 - Laptop USB cable shield earthed (should be by default with a PC running from wall outlet)
3 - Linked X, Y and X metal components with a wire to make sure they are all electrically connected, and then earthed.
4 - Solder a wire on the USB shield on the SO board with a tab to the frame (which is earthed). Previously has some success doing this as noise from the USB cable was being earthed through the SO board, so this earths it directly. No sure if that makes sense the way I typed it.

I thought I had this sorted with mod 2, 3 and 4. Then I physically moved the location of my machine and started getting issues again (90% disconnects). The cap (item 1) finally fixed it for me after I got the oscilloscope out.

Note also, I have one of the older / original boards so your mileage may vary

B NEGATIVE

Post by B NEGATIVE » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:31 pm

dws wrote:
apspurgeon wrote:Curious for those who are still getting disconnects with the cap, are you running a laptop or PC, and if a laptop do you still get the disconnects with the laptop running from battery?
I am getting disconnects with the capacitor, running a PC, while turning off the router.
Try switching the router off from the wall instead of the switch on the unit.

Ground the frame.

I just fitted a £20 shielded box for the electronics also,I was stable anyway but it was a good investment.

dws

Post by dws » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:36 pm

B NEGATIVE wrote:
dws wrote:
Try switching the router off from the wall instead of the switch on the unit.

Ground the frame.

I just fitted a £20 shielded box for the electronics also,I was stable anyway but it was a good investment.
I have now added a grounded cord to the router. Also, added a remote switch to the router. I'm still getting random disconnects when I turn off the router.

I have noticed that the USB shield on the board is not connected to the board ground. It is about 40 ohms resistance. Should it be grounded? I will try grounding the frame next. Should the frame also be tied to the board ground?

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:56 pm

I'd recommend grounding the USB shield on the ShapeOko and on the PC side (especially if it's a laptop where there is no grounding through the AC adapter)

I've soldered a wire from the SO USB shield on the board which is grounded to the frame of the SO3 (which is then grounded to the AC wall outlet)

I tried this and got good results, but with some disconnects until I put the cap in. If you have the cap installed, then I would recommend doing the same but I haven't run with just the cap as a fix.