S3 stops mid-job

cvoinescu

Re: S3 stops mid-job

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:45 pm

I'll just upgrade my loft ladder to a Jacob's ladder.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:52 pm

Even better. I had exactly this issue with a little tesla coil....killed my 3D jobs a treat.

Anyway, I spend 2hrs running air jobs and running the garage door, it didn't miss a beat
also, if you have a PC, meter the earth on the power cord to the metal on the USB connector. Ours (here in NZ) are earthed (as is the case)...so that is essentially what I am doing with the laptop.

Off the shave some wood in confidence now...

and mount my foam cutter!

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:11 pm

I did get one failure after some time, so now I have also soldered an earth/ground on the SO3 board that connects the USB shield to the board. I believe this is what the SO team are also trying in the 'lab'

On mine I have put Alu tape over the top of the control board mount, connected the X,Y,Z metal of the SO3 with wire and grounded, grounded both ends of the USB cable. I used to get a communication failure every 2nd job, now I get none. Of course, making sure all ground/earth points are t the a single point so all at the same earth potential.

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:16 am

On another forum, users were reporting loss of USB Communication to their machines( not Shapeoko ) when using a thumb drive USB drive.

I've been using a thumb drive and a 2.4GHz logitech keyboard/mouse combo.

Curious if others experiencing the drops are using thumb drives, wireless keyboards/mice or wired keyboards/mice.

I've minimized my drops, but still experience them occasionally.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:12 pm

I have run a number of 75-minute jobs with galvanic isolation between the USB-to-serial converter and the microcontroller, and I had no drops. Granted, I did not intentionally try to cause problems, but I did not do much to try to avoid them either. My motor cables are unshielded, and so are my limit switch cables and the spindle cable (400 W brushed DC spindle). All cables are bundled together tightly over some of their length, and loosely over most of the rest. The limit switches are changeover (NC to 5 V and NO to GND), which requires some clever wiring when you have more than one switch on a single GRBL input pin. They have low-pass RC filters and Schmitt triggers: I get no false triggering with that circuit. I even plugged a 2 x 58 W switch-start, traditional-ballast fluorescent light into the same power strip as the laptop and the machine, and it made no difference. I left the machine on, connected, and with the motors energized (but not cutting) for about eight hours, and when I went back to it, the USB connection was still up and the limit switches had not triggered inadvertently. I just hit start, and it went and did a 75-minute job without a hitch.

I'm going to try the USB galvanic isolation board next, and also plug some power tools in at the same time, to stress it a little. Unfortunately, I can't run a mains-powered spindle at the moment (you'll see why when I post pictures of the machine), but I can run one next to the machine, to see what happens.

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:03 pm

I've confirmed my machine cuts out %50 of the time when turning of my 611. Additionally, a small harbor freight drill press does the same thing.

I have a small UPS/surge protector I am going to try adding to the system to see if that helps.

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:05 am

Curious if you are running it from a laptop? or a PC (e.g PC's will have an earthed case)
And if you have tried earthing the USB cable (either at the laptop or CNC end)?

Mine would stop 50% from my garage door...and having something to 'test' (like turning on your 611) makes isolating the problem a lot easier.

For me, after earth both the laptop case and the USB shielding at the CNC end I've not had a single failure

TomDChi

Post by TomDChi » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:17 pm

I've been running my SO3 from a laptop on battery (MacBook Pro, not plugged in) and had some control drops when turning off the DW611. It isn't consistent in any way that I can tell, and so far, I haven't had a drop while continuously running a job.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:38 pm

That's consistent with my findings. Turning stuff off is much worse than turning it on, which, in turn, is worse than running it continuously.

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:45 am

:o) Running happily since last post without failure