S3 stops mid-job

cvoinescu

Re: S3 stops mid-job

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:16 pm

Can't add anything to what Edward said, but someone made a comparison to the X-Carve. The Shapeoko 3 wins when compared to the X-Carve in terms of robustness, both mechanically and in terms of the stock electronics.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

jfdotcom

Post by jfdotcom » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:43 pm

I've sent the email to support and look forward to the response.

What little bit I've been able to use my Shapeoko 3 for (less than 1 hour of cutting) has been wonderful but if you tally all of the disconnection issues, it quickly has become something I'd rather just put a tarp over and no longer use. Of course, with over $1000 sank into the machine now, putting it in storage or in the bin simply isn't an option.

Thanks
S3 #342 07/2015
My website
YouTube Channel

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:50 pm

I've sent an email also to support. I've tried different dedicated power circuits, different pc's, programs, etc. and disconnects continue. I can successfully run about 85% of the time without a disconnect during the run but anytime I shut down for tool change it's game over. Homing switches help a lot to get started again but would love to find a solution.

I appreciate Edward stepping in with his response as I kind of assumed they were working on it from the replies to this thread. It is difficult as it seems to randomly happen and I can't 100% duplicate every time.
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:34 am

My issue with my SO3 stopping (resetting) mid job was due to static electricity. It happened occasionally during the western Washington summer when it was warm and the humidity was not very low. It only happened as I was cutting HDPE, and once I actually went to touch the vacuum hose and felt the static charge when I got my hand ~2" away.

Cut to winter, and we had a spell of (for western Washington) cold weather (low 30's F) and dry - probably 40%RH. I heated up my shed to ~65-70F, so looking at a psychrometric chart (correctly I hope) that put the RH in the ~15%. I had 3-4 disconnects in a single day. The problem was, I did not consider the low RH necause it was the first time that the RH had been that low in my shed since I got my SO3.

All the other times were related to cutting HDPE, which I was not doing at the time. So, I thought something in the house was turning on and off, like a wall heater or ceramic heater - something that wasn't running in the summer. I put an older but functioning UPS on my laptop and SO3 and tried again, but I still had disconnects. That was when I reached for the vacuum hose and got a static shock and realized what was going on.

So, now I knew what exactly I was deealing with I went back through the forum and found some posts regarding grounding the ShapeOko, so I did that. I ran a braided ground wire that I wrapped around my DeWalt router and secured with silicone RTV tape and ran it to the gantry and grounded it through one of the large screws that goes through the Y-axis plate, and then continued on with another piece of wire and grounded that to the end of the X-axis via a screw through the end-plates. Then I butchered a cheap grounded extension cord and cut back the hot and neutral wires and heat shrink protected them and tied the ground wire to the rest of the grounding wires on my SO3 and plugged it into a grounded outlet.

Then I ordered an ESD vacuum hose and hooked that up to my vacuum. I used another braided ground wire kind of like this and shoved it into the joint between the ESD hose and the non-ESD Shop*Vac extension I used between the hose and my vacuum plate on my SO3. I didn't want to chance any static buildup so I put a layer of aluminum duct tape (actual aluminum tape for ducts) around the extension.

I know it is hard to imagine, so I will try to get some pics of what it looks like tomorrow. I don't want to get anyone too excited, but so far I have not had any disconnects since making the changes, and today it was in the mid 30's like the last time it disconnected, and I didn't have any disconnects even though I had it running for 7-8 hours today making cribbage boards.
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015

jfdotcom

Post by jfdotcom » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:21 pm

Any follow-up to this, madhatter?

After getting a galvanic isolator and a V2.2 board (mine was V2.1, the white one), I touched the machine machine times during cuts and jogs as well as used the shop vac without issue. I cut about 10 things yesterday but the last job I had a disconnect after turning the router off (via switched receptacle).
madhatter wrote:My issue with my SO3 stopping (resetting) mid job was due to static electricity. It happened occasionally during the western Washington summer when it was warm and the humidity was not very low. It only happened as I was cutting HDPE, and once I actually went to touch the vacuum hose and felt the static charge when I got my hand ~2" away.

Cut to winter, and we had a spell of (for western Washington) cold weather (low 30's F) and dry - probably 40%RH. I heated up my shed to ~65-70F, so looking at a psychrometric chart (correctly I hope) that put the RH in the ~15%. I had 3-4 disconnects in a single day. The problem was, I did not consider the low RH necause it was the first time that the RH had been that low in my shed since I got my SO3.

All the other times were related to cutting HDPE, which I was not doing at the time. So, I thought something in the house was turning on and off, like a wall heater or ceramic heater - something that wasn't running in the summer. I put an older but functioning UPS on my laptop and SO3 and tried again, but I still had disconnects. That was when I reached for the vacuum hose and got a static shock and realized what was going on.

So, now I knew what exactly I was deealing with I went back through the forum and found some posts regarding grounding the ShapeOko, so I did that. I ran a braided ground wire that I wrapped around my DeWalt router and secured with silicone RTV tape and ran it to the gantry and grounded it through one of the large screws that goes through the Y-axis plate, and then continued on with another piece of wire and grounded that to the end of the X-axis via a screw through the end-plates. Then I butchered a cheap grounded extension cord and cut back the hot and neutral wires and heat shrink protected them and tied the ground wire to the rest of the grounding wires on my SO3 and plugged it into a grounded outlet.

Then I ordered an ESD vacuum hose and hooked that up to my vacuum. I used another braided ground wire kind of like this and shoved it into the joint between the ESD hose and the non-ESD Shop*Vac extension I used between the hose and my vacuum plate on my SO3. I didn't want to chance any static buildup so I put a layer of aluminum duct tape (actual aluminum tape for ducts) around the extension.

I know it is hard to imagine, so I will try to get some pics of what it looks like tomorrow. I don't want to get anyone too excited, but so far I have not had any disconnects since making the changes, and today it was in the mid 30's like the last time it disconnected, and I didn't have any disconnects even though I had it running for 7-8 hours today making cribbage boards.
S3 #342 07/2015
My website
YouTube Channel

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:11 am

Been a bit busy, but I will take some pics tomorrow and post them.

I will say I did run my SO3 today for ~4 hours again without any disconnects. I bought a new Shop*Vac that is 2-3 times as powerful as my previous vac and turning it on and off has no effect on my SO3. I believe that is due to either the APC UPS I am using or the fact that the vac is on another circuit. And the static issue appears to be under control after grounding the SO3 and using the anti static hose.
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:11 am

So I thought I had this licked, but after moving the location of my SO3 in the garage it started playing up again. Not sure why, but I tried a bunch of my usual tricks but it still kept failing.

I pulled out my old oscilloscope, and had a look at the 24v power lines, and specifically for noise.

This video showed about 0.5v of high frequency noise on the 24v power supply, this isn't good...and will be spikes beyond the 0.5v I can't easily see. I put a 1000uf cap on the line (between +24v and 0v/GND) , while it didn't remove the problem it reduced it and I was able to run jobs again.

Interestingly when the SO3 is powered on, the noise isn't there...however after about 1 second, the steppers 'holding' power is applied and the noise appears. I'll keep playing around but this made an immediate difference.

Video on YouTube
https://youtu.be/JTMeF72gSF8

KAScnc

Post by KAScnc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:56 pm

My system just lost connection about 3 hours into a 5 hour cut.

I have the SparkFun edition with the Stepoko controller.

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:40 pm

I have had zero disconnects since I implemented my changes.
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015

KAScnc

Post by KAScnc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:09 pm

If someone else could give this a try, I'd appreciate it. I'm on the Stepoko controller having the same disconnect issue as the Carbide controller.

I'm able to reproduce the controller lockup 100% of the time by cycling the Dewalt DW611 router on and off multiple times at max speed. Doesn't matter what outlet or circuit being used.

I removed the DW611 from the spindle mount and tried the same thing. I couldn't get it to lock up at all when it wasn't attached, over 20 mins of cycling the power switch. Even held directly over the controller with no issues at all.

So far I'm not having the disconnecting issue with one layer of Kapton tape around the router to insulate it from the clamp. Just need to make sure no metal from the router is touching the spindle clamp.

While the SO3 was air printing I removed the router and Kaptons tape and mounted it back in the clamp. Within 30 seconds I was able to shut it down again by power cycling. I wont know about long term results till I cut something tomorrow.

Just curious if this will work for others.

KAS