Hall Effect Sensor Compatability

akamin68

Hall Effect Sensor Compatability

Post by akamin68 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:56 pm

Does anybody have experience with the Freetronics Hall Effect Magnetic and Proximity Sensor?

http://www.epictinker.com/Hall-Effect-M ... n-1008.htm

Is it compatible with the controller on the Shapeoko 3? Are there wiring / set-up instructions? What magnet is being used?

Lastly, how is the configuration of these different to act as homing switches vs limit switches?
Attachments
SEN-1008-2T.gif.png
SEN-1008-2T.gif.png (63.52 KiB) Viewed 865 times

swhillier

Re: Hall Effect Sensor Compatability

Post by swhillier » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:10 pm

I used different hall effect sensors on mine. The Freetronics Hall Effect Magnetic and Proximity Sensor seems to use an AH-180 http://www.diodes.com/_files/datasheets/AH180.pdf and it looks like it should work. The SO3 board needs a switch that will short the limit switch pins to ground when the switch hits the limit. This hall effect sensor seems to do the same thing when a magnet is in range.

I used .25" rare earth magnets for my set up and they work fine. My sensors have 10K pots that allow me to adjust the sensitivity but the AH-180 is not adjustable. When you mount the magnets they'll need to be physically adjustable (maybe mounted on the end of a bolt) so you can set the stop point on each axis. This would be very similar to how micro switches are used for limit switches. Using micro switches instead of these sensors will probably be easier since you only need to provide ground and the limit input to each switch while this sensor will also need a 5V lead.

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:55 pm

Which sensors did you use?
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

swhillier

Post by swhillier » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:33 pm

MeanderBolt wrote:Which sensors did you use?
I used UGN3503UA hall effect sensors which provide a variable output voltage based on the strength and polarity of the magnetic flux. Basically fed the output into an op amp set up as a comparator using the 10K pot to adjust it. Then used the output of the op amp to trigger an NPN transistor to sink the limit input to the controller.

ijv

Post by ijv » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:45 am

When using the Freetronics switches, do you need any extra components like pull up resistors or RC filters and the like?

Thanks,
ijv