Solving USB disconnection problem with bluetooth

Breoko

Solving USB disconnection problem with bluetooth

Post by Breoko » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:49 pm

Hi,

I bought this chinese spindle for my shapeoko: http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6939 ... 5795233198

Both the shapeoko and spindle work fine seperately, but whenever I start the spindle, the shapeoko loses it's usb connection (grbl error: cannot open port for Nomad).

It's a common problem without a simple solution if I read the wiki (http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... connection)

I always had in mind to try to find a way to connect the shapeoko to my computer wirelessly, so I want to try the bluetooth solution. => "Or, replace USB communication with something wireless, for example Bluetooth."

My question is, if I buy a USB B to USB A adapter I connect to the shapeoko and then I put in there a USB A to Bluetooth adapter, will I be able to connect to a bluetooth adapter I put in a usb port on my computer? Or am I looking at it the wrong way :)?

USB / bluetooth adapters I have in mind
http://www.amazon.de/Hama-Version-4-0-B ... th+adapter
http://www.amazon.de/niceeshop-Female-A ... b+a+female

cvoinescu

Re: Solving USB disconnection problem with bluetooth

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:21 pm

You are looking at it the wrong way, I'm afraid. Here's why.

There are two kinds of USB ports: host, and device (and a rare few that can do both, usually found on smartphones and cameras). Hosts typically have female A connectors. Devices have either female B connectors (e.g. external hard drive, Arduino Uno), male A connectors on permanently attached cables (e.g. mouse, joystick), or male A connectors as part of the (small) device itself (e.g. thumb drive, Bluetooth adapter). There are three sizes of each type of connector (regular, mini and micro, for a total of 12* different connectors), but this does not change the logic. The difference between host and device is not just the shape of the connector; the host requires much more "smarts" than a device, which is why the host needs to be a reasonably powerful computer (Arduino Uno and the Carbide Motion board do not qualify).

The Bluetooth USB adapters are devices, and they're designed to work in host ports. They're useful only if your computer doesn't already have a Bluetooth interface (practically all laptops have one, but few desktops do). On the Arduino or Carbide Motion board, you need to use a "serial Bluetooth module". This is designed to have a very simple interface, but, unfortunately, it's not a USB host, so you can't plug the Arduino or Carbide Motion into it. With an Arduino Uno, it's a simple matter of connecting four wires to get the Bluetooth module to work (ground, power, serial transmit, serial receive). With the Carbide Motion board, I don't know -- there is a connector, but how it's wired I don't know.

* In the interest of completeness, the mini-A connectors (male and female) have been rarely used and they're now deprecated, and the female micro connector also comes in a host-and-device variety (inexplicably named "on-the-go") which accepts both A and B male connectors. Your smartphone or digital camera may have one of those. So that's 11 kinds, not counting USB 3.0 (a whole new set of connectors) and USB-and-eSATA multifunction connectors. Not quite Heinz-level variety, but getting there.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:58 pm

The name on the go is explicable if one considers its use case, a single port which may be used for charging/electrical connection, or connecting a device while on battery.

Really glad Toshiba offers an adapter to make up for that limitation.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:10 am

WillAdams wrote:The name on the go is explicable if one considers its use case
s/inexplicably/marketingly/
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

garetbiglow

Post by garetbiglow » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:49 am

Old school RS-232 for the win! Since switching... no more problems...
SO3 #0196

edwan

Post by edwan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:37 am

Using RS-232 had crossed my mind. I'm happy to hear it worked. How did you do it?
S3 #1105

jfdotcom

Post by jfdotcom » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:36 am

garetbiglow wrote:Old school RS-232 for the win! Since switching... no more problems...
I'd love to know more about this.

The entire USB revolution is getting ridiculous. I call BS on the "cost" factor because if you can afford to drop $1k on a CNC then you can also afford a $20 PCIE card for your desktop or notebook.
S3 #342 07/2015
My website
YouTube Channel

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:10 pm

garetbiglow wrote:Old school RS-232 for the win! Since switching... no more problems...
Please share what you did to accomplish this please.