Carbide Motion Spindle Control

RoguePirin

Carbide Motion Spindle Control

Post by RoguePirin » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:08 pm

Over seven months ago,Edward indicated that
The 6 pin header on the left side of the board is for spindle control. We're working on a one page document to explain how to use it.
I have not been able to locate this one page document. Can someone point me to it? I also have had an email into support@cardbide3d.com for over a week now, with no response.

Specifically, I want to drive my SuperPID PWM feature with the Carbide Motion controller board. I believe that the 6 pin header that Edward referenced was this one here, with the PWM notation:
PWM Pinout.jpg
PWM Pinout.jpg (54.28 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
Can anyone here answer these questions?
1) What kind of connector would fit this? I am thinking along the lines of the Molex KK series that the rest of the board uses. I can't measure exactly, but the holes do not seem to be centered 0.1" apart.
2) Is there a spindle enable/disable output anywhere on the board?

Thanks.
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2

Beemer533

Re: Carbide Motion Spindle Control

Post by Beemer533 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:01 pm

I'm currently trying to find the same info...

I am quite certain that "one page document" doesn't exist.

The pin indicated for PWM in the diagram the correct one for spindle RPM, but as far as I know spindle enable is not broken out. My plan is to figure out what pin on the 328 it should be on and see if I can just solder directly to that... Not really ideal, but short of replacing the board that is pretty much it as far as I know.

I think 3 pairs of the standard headers http://www.amazon.com/Single-Header-Ard ... eader+pins can be used for those pins. They are a tight fit, but I think they will work.

Here is another thread discussing a similar topic.. http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6462
Shapeoko 3 #0444

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:45 pm

For the TQFP package, pins are numbered counterclockwise from the index corner (which is chamfered, and has a dot).

Arduino pin D11 (Spindle PWM) is PB3, or pin 15.
Arduino pin D12 (Z limit) is PB4, or pin 16.
Arduino pin D13 (Spindle direction or enable, depending on GRBL configuration) is PB5, or pin 17.

Pins 16 and 17 are on either side of the corner opposite the index corner -- you want pin 17. You can safely use a multimeter in the continuity mode to check whether the pin is broken out anywhere. It may be one of the "reserved" pins on the 6-pin header, which would save you from soldering.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:42 pm

Looking closely at the photo, I'm *pretty* sure those holes are spaced 3mm apart, rather than the more standard 2.54mm (0.1 inch) spacing.

D13/P17 is not broken out to either of those reserved pins. I believe someone claimed it was connected to one of the other pins on the board, but I haven't had the time to really sit down with the board and a multimeter and figure out what everything is connected to. It's on my list of things to do.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:00 am

CastIrony wrote:Looking closely at the photo, I'm *pretty* sure those holes are spaced 3mm apart, rather than the more standard 2.54mm (0.1 inch) spacing.
Thanks for all the replies. I just heard back from support, and they said:
That 6 pin layout is for a 6 pin mini-fit jr right angle connector (by molex)
I looked this up online, and it looks like the mini-fit jr pins are spaced 0.165 inches (4.2mm) apart.

I did not receive an answer to my spindle enable/disable output question yet, but I was promised that they would get back to me on that one.

Beemer533

Post by Beemer533 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:58 pm

CastIrony wrote:Looking closely at the photo, I'm *pretty* sure those holes are spaced 3mm apart, rather than the more standard 2.54mm (0.1 inch) spacing.
This is correct, but it is close enough that i was able to get the 2.54mm spaced pins in; i just had to lightly tweak the pins afterwards to straighten them out. Not ideal, but i didn't feel like chasing down the correct ones..
Shapeoko 3 #0444

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:44 am

cvoinescu wrote:For the TQFP package, pins are numbered counterclockwise from the index corner (which is chamfered, and has a dot).

Arduino pin D11 (Spindle PWM) is PB3, or pin 15.
Arduino pin D12 (Z limit) is PB4, or pin 16.
Arduino pin D13 (Spindle direction or enable, depending on GRBL configuration) is PB5, or pin 17.

Pins 16 and 17 are on either side of the corner opposite the index corner -- you want pin 17. You can safely use a multimeter in the continuity mode to check whether the pin is broken out anywhere. It may be one of the "reserved" pins on the 6-pin header, which would save you from soldering.
So I finally broke out my multimeter, and I discovered the following connections on the 6-pin connector labeled ARDUINO_ISP (just above the ATMEL MEGA328P)
CarbideMotionController-v2.2-ARDUINO_ISP.jpg
ARDUINO_ISP connector pinout
CarbideMotionController-v2.2-ARDUINO_ISP.jpg (189.98 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
The pins that I have identified are the pin numbers on the ATMEL MEGA328P. Note that I have v2.2 of the CarbideMotion controller.

@cvoinescu, where did you get the D## notation for the Arduino pins? How can I verify that D11 is Spindle PWM, while D13 is Spindle Enable? It is not that I don't trust you, I would just like to learn. (By the way, I did verify continuity between the D11 pin on the ARDUINO_ISP header with the PWM pin on the right side of the controller on the annotated PDF image, so you are correct :) )

Can anyone else verify the pinouts on this ARDUINO_ISP connector? Am I correct in assuming that I can use the PIN 15, PIN 17, and PIN 3/5/21(GND) pins for the Super-PID and get the spindle to power up, rotate at a specified RPM (via PWM), and then power down, all automagically? If so, which G-Code command specifies the RPM of the spindle?

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:09 am

This should help:

Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:58 am

CastIrony wrote:This should help:
Great! Thanks CastIrony.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:10 pm

Thank you for measuring this, this will be very helpful in answering questions. That pinout is the same as the SparkFun Stepoko, which gives me added confidence that it is correct. Also, it's good news: all the signals you need to control the spindle are present.

By the way, the SparkFun Stepoko schematic also includes a pin mapping for the SMD AtMega328P. I just used the 328P datasheet to match the pins to the DIP version, for which there are numerous Arduino Uno pinout diagrams all over the Net.

By default, GRBL 0.9x uses D13 as the spindle direction signal, but you can configure it as a spindle enable signal (in addition to spindle PWM on D11) and recompile. This is exactly what you need for the SuperPID.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk