Sparkfun Shapeoko 3 Carbide Motion error

KAScnc

Sparkfun Shapeoko 3 Carbide Motion error

Post by KAScnc » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:59 am

This is my first hobby CNC kit, please be gentle :)
Built the kit no real issues. I'm able to control the cnc manually through the Universal G Code sender.

Carbide motion is giving me issues. I've tried three systems, all windows 10. The com port detected comes up as "USB Serial Port (COM4)" with the OS automatically assigning drivers.
I've tried numerous restarts, deleting windows assigned USB port/drivers, choosing Carbide Motion drivers folder ( that actually caused a blue screen on two systems.), removing and reinstalling Carbide Motion several times, Different USB cables.

I re-flashed GRBL using XLoader and the 9j hex. That gave an active status "alarm" in the Universal G Code sender. but was able to clear that. Still nothing with Carbide Motion.

I receive this error in Carbide Motion "GRBL error: cannot open port for Nomad"

Any suggestions?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Sparkfun Shapeoko 3 Carbide Motion error

Post by WillAdams » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:45 am

Sounds as if you've gone above and beyond in testing.

Windows 10 has worked for some people w/ the Carbide Motion board, but the sample size is still quite small and Windows 10 is still quite new and the Sparkfun controller newer still.

Please contact customerservice@sparkfun.com and support@carbide3d.com w/ details of your systems and setup --- hopefully they'll be able to use your information to work up a solution and to make the new board more compatible.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:57 am

One other thing to try while you are waiting on a reply. Try downloading and installing the Carbide Create beta. I can't remember what thread I found it on but I could not connect to my Shapeoko 3 with my Surface 3 on Windows 10 until both programs were installed. There was something that installs in Carbide Create that allowed Carbide Motion to load and connect properly.
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

KAScnc

Post by KAScnc » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:37 pm

I installed Carbide Create although I'm getting the same error with Motion. I also disabled the network connection and removed the windows provided driver, so I could force the use of the Motion supplied driver. That ended in a windows error, and would not take any of the three drivers provided. I also switched the port number to 1-5 and tried the connection on each without luck.

I just wanted to make sure that the Sparkfun controller is the same as the Carbide's version and Carbide Motion is supposed to work on both controllers.

I'm sending a support request now.
Last edited by KAScnc on Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KAScnc

Post by KAScnc » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:44 pm

I'm not expecting a reply back today with the holiday, which is fine.

I'm going to re-install windows 7 and give that a whirl. Hopefully it's just a win10 issue.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:07 pm

I wonder if there isn't yet support in place for the Stepoko Sparkfun controller in Carbide Motion.

As I recall, their pages on this only mention Universal G-Code Sender (UGS).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

KAScnc

Post by KAScnc » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:31 pm

WillAdams wrote:I wonder if there isn't yet support in place for the Stepoko Sparkfun controller in Carbide Motion.

As I recall, their pages on this only mention Universal G-Code Sender (UGS).

And that might be the case. Sparkfun links to this assembly instruction which is obviously the Carbide Shapeoko 3 manual. http://bit.ly/1PQoKDi

Page 3 of the manual states the following, which might be where the confusion starts.
Software
Carbide3D provides a machine control package, called Carbide Motion, with every
machine we ship. This software allows you to control your machine by jogging
it around, setting zeros, and loading and running g-code. For more software, such
as CAD/CAM packages, check the Docs site and the Shapeoko wiki for recommendations
and helpful information.

For now, I'm going to use the UGS and at least make some cuts.

Thanks all for your help. I appreciate it.

KAS

KAScnc

Post by KAScnc » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:37 pm

Definitive answer:

Hi KAS,
We have plans to support the sparkfun controllers with Carbide Motion (hopefully soon!), but at the moment you have to use something like Universal gcode sender.

Best,
Jorge

--
Jorge Sanchez
support@carbide3d.com