Abort, Hold, Resume, E-Stop

John_TX

Abort, Hold, Resume, E-Stop

Post by John_TX » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:46 pm

I was thinking about wiring a simple E-stop switch to interrupt the 24VDC to SO3, when I found this awesome setup:
http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... gency+stop
Which reminded me that there are some pins on the Carbide3d controller labelled E-stop and Feed Hold.
Can someone explain exactly what effect signals on those pins would have? For example, does the pin have an internal pull-up or pull-down and is it active-high or active-low?
If I am using UGS and I actuate one of these, will UGS know so that I can resume the program later?

My original plan was to cut power to the controller, but if I can trust the board to only stop the steppers, that seems much smarter.

And anything else anyone can share about this is appreciated - I don't know all the questions I should ask, if that makes sense.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Abort, Hold, Resume, E-Stop

Post by WillAdams » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:28 pm

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

twforeman

Re: Abort, Hold, Resume, E-Stop

Post by twforeman » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:29 pm

Feed Hold and E-Stop are two different things. There is also a Reset button.

Feed Hold will pause the machine until you hit Cycle Start (at least it used to work that way.)

The Reset button resets the CPU and will stop all movement and cut power to the steppers. You will need to reset and re-home the machine.

An E-Stop should only be used in the case of something going horribly wrong and should probably cut all power to everything, including the spindle. It's the "oh sh*t" button that you hit when stuff is on fire. You should not have to hit the E-Stop very often. It should be limited to "stuff's on fire" or "my shirt is tangled in the router bit" - this should NEVER happen BTW.

I don't know what the E-Stop pin on the Carbide 3D board does.

I would wire up the Reset button pin (short it to ground for reset) for general "oh crap, I forgot to set the Z zero and just drove the router bit 1.5" into the material and it's trying to mill 3 inches in the Y" issues. I had that happen to me a couple of days ago and had to reach over to the controller board to hit the reset.

I will probably hookup the E-Stop to cut the 24V power to the steppers or make it cut the 110v power to the power supply and the router. When you hit the E-Stop you really want everything to stop.

I really need to build a control panel soon.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts