Inventables wiring

loopingz

Inventables wiring

Post by loopingz » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:40 pm

I was plugging everything yesterday and I noticed a couple of things.
The 12block terminal block is really big compared to the motor wiring size especially without anything to crimp on the wire.
Then the terminal block looks like it is made to stand on the Y-axis idler but then motor cable are too short. I dont understand how to mount it on the x-axis carrier, anyone with a picture?
The wire order is also different on the grbl shield than on the 12block terminal: super confusing, I was about to do a triple big mistake on the grbl!
Shapeoko 1. Dual Y 1m with Name 17 (twice lower torque as the original motor). Double Xrails side to side. Acme-Z. Metalspacers.Wood 22mm waste board. Kress1050 with custom holder. Arduino GRBL + GRBL shield.

JimHung

Re: Inventables wiring

Post by JimHung » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:33 pm

Hey loopingz,

My Inventables kit was the same - the motor wires were way too short for the wiki instructions to be usable. I solved the problem by using a combination of Molex power connectors (like you get on hard drives and computer power supplies) and the supplied sheathed cable (apologies for the rubbish quality photo):
ShapeOko.jpg
ShapeOko.jpg (489.21 KiB) Viewed 3008 times
I wrapped the wires around the motor bodies to keep them out of the way and used cable ties to keep everything tidy. By threading the cable through some of the spare drilled holes in the X-axis motor plate I was able to keep the cable out of the way while it's travelling and anchor it so it didn't put much strain on any of the connectors or motor wires (which seem a bit thin and flimsy to me). I used a little plastic hook/cable tidy on the Y-axis motor plate to keep the wires up and over the X-Axis (so it didn't get caught on the belt anchors when at full extension). This solution isn't quite perfect since I didn't have a whole lot of cable left to connect the terminal block to the driver board, but it is enough to cover the maximum Y-axis travel of the stock ShapeOko and when the electronics mount is clipped to the PSU it has enough weight not to be dragged around by the gantry.

I hope from the photo you can see where I mounted the terminal block on my ShapeOko.

Jim
Shapeoko #: 564

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:40 pm

Here's a quick mockup of the intended assembly (sorry for the crayon effect, I did this in MS paint....)
shapeoko_v1i_back.png
shapeoko_v1i_back.png (156.84 KiB) Viewed 3001 times
It's my fault this isn't on the wiki yet, like I said earlier I'm working to get up a new electronics assembly page and an accompanying youtube video. Hopefully clearing up a lot of confusion!

Lets keep this thread going to help out the next person with the same question.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

jsbannis

Post by jsbannis » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:51 pm

edwardrford wrote:(sorry for the crayon effect, I did this in MS paint....)
Never mind the wires, I'm impressed by how well you drew the rest of the machine :P
shapeoko #0057

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:39 am

what can is say? Because of all the features it contains, MS paint can be tricky, but if you try really hard you can achieve outstanding results!

:shock:

-Edward
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

loopingz

Post by loopingz » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:47 am

Thank you for opening my eyes. Yes it makes more sense to put it on the x-axis plate, and I was looking at puting in on top on the motor where it obviously dont fit!
Your paint skills are good (anyway I would prefer to do it in inkscape and then export a bitmap or in general I just use gimp), but take care you just inverted red and and green on the x axis!
One more thing about the wiki, I could not find any info about best wire position on each motor, not a big deal, but now my guess were not perfect!
Shapeoko 1. Dual Y 1m with Name 17 (twice lower torque as the original motor). Double Xrails side to side. Acme-Z. Metalspacers.Wood 22mm waste board. Kress1050 with custom holder. Arduino GRBL + GRBL shield.

T4b

Post by T4b » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:30 pm

Edward, the wires on my y-axis motor are too short for that.

I cut the wire terminal into two pieces and mounted one of them on the y-motor-plate.

Edit: And the other one on the x-motor-plate, of course. That's the only possibility with the length of the motor wires.

Sooner or later I'm going to solder those wires together and get rid of those terminal blocks, should be easy after all.
ShapeOko #658
--
There are 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary notation, those who don't and those who confuse it with ternary.

JimHung

Post by JimHung » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:18 pm

Mine were too short too, but I also don't feel that comfortable with the reference design since it seems to subject the motor wires to an undue amount of mechanical movement - I don't feel good about the long term health of the wires (particularly on the Y-axis in the reference diagram) when being flexed back and forth as the X-Axis carriage moves. The wires don't seem that robust, and IIRC they are stranded wires which I wouldn't have thought would stand up a to a lot of flexing when screwed into the terminal block directly.

I much preferred to both a) try and reduce any mechanical stress on the motor wires by joining them with the more robust sheathed wiring (which was a necessity anyway given the motor wire's length), and b) running them through the spare X-Axis motor plate holes so that any direct mechanical stress was taken by the thicker sheathed wire (in practice there isn't much due to the extra slack).

Perhaps my worry about the motor wires is unfounded - is it possible to open up the NEMA-17's and replace the wires if they break?

Jim
Shapeoko #: 564

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:17 pm

Here's an updated MS Paint of what T4B was referring to.
shapeoko_back_v2.png
shapeoko_back_v2.png (109.55 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

loopingz

Post by loopingz » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:07 am

Interesting. I will try like that because my y axis motor (with wire pointing down) is too short on cables.