project stops half way through

Loyde

project stops half way through

Post by Loyde » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:10 pm

the project I am running is for about 85 minutes.While in the finishing mode the project stops as though I have lost communication.I cannot resume and have to start over.I am using meshcam pro.I ran the program a second time which ran approx. 20% farther and then stopped.How can I resume from that point after finding the problem or do I have to start over...

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: project stops half way through

Post by WillAdams » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:25 pm

Homing switches and careful editing of the file will allow one to resume, but resolve the disconnection first.

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... mendations
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Loyde

Post by Loyde » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:08 pm

WillAdams wrote:Homing switches and careful editing of the file will allow one to resume, but resolve the disconnection first.

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... mendations
Where do you think the disconnect could be coming from? We ran the exact same process the day before but this time the processing time doubled because we increased the finishing process time..

fasteddy

Post by fasteddy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:56 pm

Do you have limit switches installed? If so they might be tripping due to mechanical or electrical issues. Otherwise, a loose wire could be your issue. Based on your (admittedly limited) description, my bet is vibration causing a momentary disconnect due to a loose connection somewhere. However, you haven't provided much to go on, so it's tough to diagnose.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:22 pm

This disconnect issue has been on-going and maddening.

As fasteddy noted, there are a bunch of possibilities --- the best things are:

- use the machine operating checklist: http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/41-ma ... -checklist --- esp. checking all the wiring
- fastidious electronic wiring --- separate elements on to different circuits --- make sure there isn't a compressor or other heavy draw on the same circuit as the machine
- zip tie any wiring near a connection point to preclude any movement of connectors
- good quality USB cable --- preferably one w/ metal braid, or ferrite beads at both ends --- if someone makes one w/ both, I want that product listing

On the gripping hand, the new 2.4 board (Carbide Motion) seems a dramatic improvement --- if you can justify it, getting that is well-worth it --- contact support@carbide3d.com w/ your serial number and we'll see what we can do.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

ammoody

Post by ammoody » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:48 pm

I have a Shapeoko 2 that used to do this all the time until I put my spindle power (DWP611) on a separate circuit (completely different breaker) from the RasPi and Grbl shield power. Something to do with static buildup and ground loops or something. Not an electrical engineer, but it works. I had also added a ground strap from spindle body to same gangbox as spindle power. Have not had this problem since.
As for USB cables, I switched to Tripp Lite U023-006, which also greatly reduce serial transmission corruption which would garble the gcode being sent to grbl and cause all sorts of other weird problems.