Shapeoko 2 stopped working

theone964

Shapeoko 2 stopped working

Post by theone964 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:43 pm

Hello,
I have a Shapeoko 2 that I was getting ready to donate to my friend and I fired it up to show him the basics and it all worked fine. GRBL 1.1 on Arduino Uno R3. Moved it to his house plugged it up and the motors never moved. We didn't dismantle it or remove any wiring.

Before when I plugged up the system or turned the power on the motors would click (I can't remember when exactly but they would definitely make a clicking sound.

I even downgraded to GRBL 0.9 still no luck. I ran the "Blink Test" on the Uno R3 and it worked. I reloaded the GRBL 1.1 on the Arduino and the following happens with the CNC Shield attached and without:

The ON led comes on and the L led flashes a few times and goes off. Then when I open up UGS and connect to the Uno R3 the ON led stays on just like before but the RX led starts rapidly flashing and never stops until I hit disconnect on the UGS.

Can someone fire up their Shapeoko 2 and see what happens and what the led's do please.

Thank You

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Shapeoko 2 stopped working

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:25 pm

Usually, this is the sort of thing which happens when one doesn't get power to the gShield from the power supply. Please check that:

- if the power supply has a 110/220 switch, please check that it is set correctly
- power LED on at the power brick when plugged in
- I believe there's a power LED on the gShield when the power supply is on and connected

If you have a multimeter, check the power supply. If you have a spare, please swap it in to test.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

theone964

Re: Shapeoko 2 stopped working

Post by theone964 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:50 am

Hello Will,

Thanks for helping me. The CNC shield v3 doesn't seem to have an led on it, or if it does mine has never lit up even when it used to work fine. I tested the input terminals on the CNC as well as my power supply and they both register 24v. I guess I need to measure the voltage a little further in on the board as the screw in terminal on the shield is probaby just reporting the 24v from the power supply and doesn't tell me if the 24v are actually going through the shield.

Where ( or what pins) could I hook my multimeter up to on the CNC shield to see if it's getting power?