kmzero

24dc high voltage unit

Post by kmzero » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:36 pm

IMG_5481.JPG
IMG_5481.JPG (61.82 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
power unit.jpg
power unit.jpg (102.21 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
Hello,
i'm searching for an advise about this high voltage unit that i have found in an old 80's big Olimpia copier(i attach some pics),i also found 4 big motors(that i think they are unipolar stepper motors because they have 6 wires).The question is if i can use the power unit for Shapeoko or any other cnc machines and if the motors are of any use(maybe you could give me some ideas).I'm a noob but wiling to learn anything about CNC and electronics.

jsbannis

Re: 24dc high voltage unit

Post by jsbannis » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:53 pm

I don't know exactly how copiers work, but this appears to be a step up transformer,probably for the bulb. Input is 24V, outputs are in the kV range. You don't want to hook that up to your stepper driver :) Given that the unit takes 24V input, there is probably another part somewhere in the copier that is a 120V AC in 24V DC out power supply, which is what you want. Whether it can be used depends on the current it can source.

*edit after some quick research (wikipedia) it appears that the high voltage is used to electrostatically charge a photosensitive drum
shapeoko #0057

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:32 pm

I hope this is a joke, but just in case it isn't, don't use that power supply for anything. Those high voltages are dangerous, and completely useless to you. What you need is a power supply that takes whatever the mains voltage is in your country (100 to 240 V at 50 or 60 Hz) and outputs 24 V DC. Your supply has a 24 V input. With the risk of sounding like a dick, if you don't understand electricity, better be on the safe side and not mess with it. You can set your house on fire even with 12 V or 24 V (and a good dose of bad luck) -- but that power supply can kill you, and someone trying to save you after you're dead.

About the motors, all the information we have is that they (1) came from a copier, and (2) have six wires. They may be good, or they may not be.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

kmzero

Post by kmzero » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:47 pm

Thank you very much for the advise.I didn't know what is so for this reason i asked for advise.