Any Sparkfun/Shapeoko Folks Have $h Working?

johnelle

Any Sparkfun/Shapeoko Folks Have $h Working?

Post by johnelle » Sat May 13, 2017 11:34 am

I bought the Sparkfun version of Shapeoko which includes their "Stepoko" board as a controller. After a few weeks of use I decided I needed to have HOME working so I could properly do multi-tool projects. Sparkfun had no clue so I ended up buying the limit switch kit from Carbide and hooking it into the terminals on the Sparkfun board.

I have been unable to get $h to work properly. I even ended up recompileing and reflashing the board but every time I issue a $h it begins moving in -Z (not +Z) and then goes into alarm and has to be unlocked. Since we're just talking switches attached to Arduino pins I don't understand how this could be screwed up but I cannot get it operational. Sparkfun is not helpful--their attitude is that the controller is just another of their experimenter's parts and you're basically on your own. grbl what's that?

Before I take the financial hit to swap controllers are there any Shapeoko/Sparkfun owners out there that managed to get home and/or limit switches working?

KAScnc

Re: Any Sparkfun/Shapeoko Folks Have $h Working?

Post by KAScnc » Sat May 13, 2017 8:52 pm

What's your config set for $23 ?

KAScnc

Post by KAScnc » Sat May 13, 2017 8:59 pm

Actually, just look at this table and I'm sure you'll figure it out. Homing has it's own directional setup, scroll down this site to $23 Homing for more info.

https://github.com/grbl/grbl/wiki/Confi ... maskbinary

johnelle

Post by johnelle » Sun May 14, 2017 2:07 pm

During initial setup I did have to set the axis invert mask to $3=6 which seems to be standard for Shapeoko. Are you saying that the homing direction also needs to be inverted to reflect the settings in $3? (i.e. $23=6)?

KAScnc

Post by KAScnc » Sun May 14, 2017 2:31 pm

If "Z" is the only axis that is reversed when homing, then it should be $23=4

With that said, I believe most have the home position to the rear/right of the machine. If your Y-axis is homing to the left, then $23=6 to invert Y & Z.
Of course, that part is more of a preference. I've started homing to the front/left for ease of access.

johnelle

Post by johnelle » Sun May 14, 2017 3:29 pm

Ok your suggestions definitely helped but it turns out that the homing mask didn't need to be set even though the boom was starting out in the wrong Z direction. The Sparkfun controller is inverting the limits so if you set $5=1 then everything begins to work normally.

So to enable hoping on the Sparkfun unit:
$5=1
$22=1

I haven't fiddled with the various other settings like pull off amount ($27) but I assume they'll work since they are not hardware dependent.

johnelle

Post by johnelle » Mon May 15, 2017 8:34 pm

So Sparkfun support is recommended that folks use the limit invert switch which is located near the USB socket rather than the invert bitmask $5=1. This accounts for NO limit switches which is probably going to be what folks use.

For anyone who bought from Sparkfun there is a limit switch kit with switches and mounting hardware available from Carbide for $50 to retrofit the Sparkfun unit.