Limit Switch Help

newforfall

Limit Switch Help

Post by newforfall » Mon May 22, 2017 5:36 pm

First post so forgive me if this isn't in the right area.
I'm having a lot of fun with my first CNC, a Shapeoko 3 XL. I was planning on buying one myself but my boss bought one for the warehouse and I've been in charge of set up, playing around to see what it's capable of, etc. The problem I seem to be having is that The Shapeoko came with 3 limit switches, and I've installed them on the 3 axes but in one direction only. They don't seem to be working though - whenever I jog the machine it doesn't stop when it hits the switch and it ends up jumping teeth on the belt, which makes me cringe. Is this normal? Do they not work when I'm jogging the machine and only while it's running? Everything else is spot on. One other thing (might be related?) is I'm running Carbide Motion and Create. CM is version 3.0.366, but Create says Beta number 289 Built on 2016-11-29. I'm not sure if they're the latest versions, especially how CC says Beta number 289....
This is my first machine so I'll need help in layman's terms, although I am mechanically inclined. Thanks!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Limit Switch Help

Post by WillAdams » Mon May 22, 2017 5:51 pm

The Carbide 3D switches are set up to be homing switches, and they allow one to enable "soft limits" as part of their configuration: http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/67-sh ... stallation --- the controller will keep track of machine position and alarm if you tell it to move beyond the defined working area.

If you want actual limit switches you'll need to wire in additional switches on the other axes: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php ... t_Switches
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

newforfall

Post by newforfall » Mon May 22, 2017 7:11 pm

Much appreciated! New problems though... I've set the software and followed all the instructions, and I can get it to complete the homing cycle, but when I try to jog or use rapid positioning to go more than halfway from the upper right corner after homing, it won't let me saying "limit switch hit". But I'm only halfway and no switches are falsely triggering. To Google I go...

newforfall

Post by newforfall » Mon May 22, 2017 7:51 pm

Searched around and discovered Carbide Motion and controller had an update available - seems to have fixed the issue.