y axis moving too far

arminj

y axis moving too far

Post by arminj » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:54 am

I have a Shapeoko 3 from Spark Fun, running the Stepoko board, using Fusion 360 to generate g-code, then Carbide Motion 3.9 to communicate with the Stepoko board. I do not have limit switches mounted, so it doesn't have homing (yet).

Was cutting 5 inch circles. Everything had been going great, lots of circles cut out. While cutting a new circle, the y steps suddenly began moving about 5x the normal step length. :o So my circles turned into giant (as in off the board) ellipses.

I checked using the jog control and found that if the steps were set to 0.1 inch the x and z axes were stepping exactly to that amount, and the y axis would step exactly 0.5 inch. I tried with mm as well, same proportional result. The setup is working very, very well. All of the mechanical parts are appropriately tight. No strange noises or wracking. Just 5x more distance per step in the y axis.

These are the diagnostics that I have run:
Rebooted the computer. Same results. For each step, Y-axis moves about 5x the distance per step compared to the x or z steps.
Created some new g-code and had the same results.
Deleted the old Carbide Motion 3.9 and loaded a new version 3.9. Same results.
Checked the wiring--everything looked fine, reset each of the wires and retightened the crimp-down screws. Same results.
Watched the LEDs as the processor did its thing. They flashed in all the right colors and places.
One option for isolating the problem is to run the Shapeoko 3 using a different computer. That would isolate the problem to either the computer interface or the Stepoko board.

The other thought is perhaps the grbl code on the Arduino (embedded in the Stepoko board) got corrupted. I could try reflashing the Arduino. My code is 0.9. The latest grbl is 1.1. If I switch, will that mess up the interface with Carbide Motion 3.9? Will I have to enter all of the Stepoko parameters into the config.h file before flashing to the board via the Arduino IDE?

Or could it be that something has fried a side the y-axis stepper driver? Everything else seems to work fine, and nothing got hot, so I'm thinking (hoping) that it isn't the Stepoko board.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: y axis moving too far

Post by WillAdams » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:53 am

Sudden changes such as you describe are usually electronic.

Check all the wiring for continuity, and if they doesn't show a fault which fixes it, contact sparkfun tech support --- loop in support@carbide3d.com if things aren't resolved to your satisfaction.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

arminj

Post by arminj » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:57 pm

Thanks, I'll recheck the continuity. Will also try reflashing with grbl v. 0.9 later today. Thanks, too, for the tech tips. I've sent a note to SparkFun about the problem. Will see what they have to say.

arminj

Post by arminj » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:30 pm

I reflashed the stepoko board with grbl 0.9j and now all of the axes move long distances.
[edit] Restored Carbide Motion's parameters. Everything except the y-axis is working correctly. y-axis is still quad-stepping.

(I have a note in to SparkFun. They haven't responded.)

Thanks for the note about electronics. It is looking like this may have been caused by static electricity from the vacuum.
Last edited by arminj on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arminj

Post by arminj » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:30 pm

In case anyone else has these troubles...

More diagnostics.
Continuity tests show no wiring problems.
After reflashing the Stepoko board grbl 0.9j, I reset Carbide Motion's parameters to the Stepoko parameters by using the command - 1 key combination and watching the message window. All of the flashed values are correct.
Tested various settings of the DIP switches. The switches all work, and the y-axis tetra stepping problem remains.
Switched the x and y stepper wires to see if it is isolated to the board module or the steppers. Now the x axis has the problem--so it is clear that the problem is with the y-axis module on the board, not the steppers or software.

Haven't heard from SparkFun.
Contacted Carbide 3D and they responded within a couple of hours. :D

Ordered a replacement board. In the meantime, I'll set up limit switches.