Driver / Controllers getting smarter and smarter

johnelle

Driver / Controllers getting smarter and smarter

Post by johnelle » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:36 am

New controller from Pololu: Tic T825 USB Multi-Interface Stepper Motor Controller.

From the description,
"
The Tic T825 USB Multi-Interface Stepper Motor Controller is a versatile, general-purpose controller designed to control one bipolar stepper motor. With a variety of supported interfaces–USB for direct connection to a computer, TTL serial and I²C for use with a microcontroller, RC hobby servo pulses for use in an RC system, analog voltages for use with a potentiometer or analog joystick, and quadrature encoder for use with a rotary encoder dial–and a wide array of configurable settings, the Tic T825 makes it easy to add basic control of a bipolar stepper motor to a variety of projects. A free configuration utility (for Windows, Linux, and macOS) simplifies initial setup of the device and allows for in-system testing and monitoring of the controller via USB.
"
controller.jpg
Pololu Tic T825 Controller
controller.jpg (59.14 KiB) Viewed 536 times

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Driver / Controllers getting smarter and smarter

Post by WillAdams » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:20 pm

Very cool!

Yeah, there are a couple of obvious features which I'd like to see:

- rotary controller support --- very cool that this supports that
- positional encoding --- the LoboCNC had that, and I think it will be the next big breakthrough
- rotary axis and 5th axis support --- of course, this is a bit sobering when one looks at the limitations of the PocketNC, but I wonder if one couldn't do better w/ the positional encoding from above.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)