Shapeoko 3 problems

franazzo

Shapeoko 3 problems

Post by franazzo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:20 pm

Hi Everyone - I would really appreciate some input on how I may resolve my problem outlined below. SHAPEOKO 3

The problem is: that when I turn the power supply on- I don't hear the "click" sound any more from the control board. In the beginning - I could always hear the "click" sound and all the stepper motors were locked and could not be moved. I could not move the router by hand in any direction.

Now, when I turn the power and router on, the router falls down and cuts into my material or project before the router starts the actual procedure, thereby damaging my material before it actually starts at the proper starting point. This happened just out of the blue! from one day to the other. The previous day it worked just fine and then all of a sudden this problem presented itself and I have no idea as to why?

My question is - is there anything that I may be doing wrong? or is my control board possibly defective?
Does anyone have any ideas as to what I might be able try adjusting in the settings? or something else that may be looked at? I use the machine very little since I got it and I hope it is nothing major!

I also have a problem with the Easel program and I wonder if this is somehow related to this issue. Now, when I take the most simplest work and try to make a sample it just won't hook into the control board and the green button won't show up to proceed with the project. For some reason, it just does not recognize the commands. A window pops up which tells me to check the ports. Any suggestions on how to remedy these two problems would be greatly appreciated!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Shapeoko 3 problems

Post by WillAdams » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:08 am

It's possible that Easel has over-written your defaults, in particular the step idle delay --- please check that and restore the Shapeoko 3 defaults per: http://docs.carbide3d.com/software-faq/ ... -settings/

See if anything here helps: http://docs.carbide3d.com/software-faq/ ... ne-or-jog/

If none of that helps, please contact support@carbide3d.com and we'll help sort out what's needed to get you moving again.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

franazzo

Post by franazzo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:16 am

Thanks Will for your reply. I definitely will follow your advise and check it out over the weekend.

franazzo

Post by franazzo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:38 am

Hi Will

I followed the trouble shooting all the way through and after all of that, the Z and X axis were reversed.
But I fixed it with the instructions from Easel. The only other fault was that it didn't start the job on the proper spot. I programmed a small 3-1/2 x 14" sign with the homing point at bottom left corner and the machine started 4" above my work piece.

I also noticed that one bolt in the Z carriage was scraping against one pulley, so I wanted to grind down the bolt and in the process I accidentally broke the belt.

So today, I ordered a new belt and I also inquired about the new Z- carriage upgrade, since I now have to dismantle the carriage to later install the new belt.

Hopefully I will receive my belt soon and I shall report back with a progress report afterwards.

I wish you and all of my buddies and helpers in the Forum a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

franazzo

Post by franazzo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:48 am

Hi Will,
I just installed my new Upgraded Z- Axis plate. After sliding the new plate on to the rails and looping the belt over the motor and the pullies I noticed that when I lowered the plate that the two lower V- wheels were falling off the rails as if the belt would be too long!

My question is: Is there a way to stop the Axis plate so that it will not go down too far? I have also noticed that the holes for the V- wheels on the old plate are 75mm apart and on the new plate the holes are 95mm apart! What is the trick to stopping the plate from going too far and falling off the rails?

Therefore, I put back on my old plate because I am desperate to get my machine going again, only to find out that now I have big problems with my Easel program.
I definitely would like to get my first problem solved with the plate and then I will check back to find out what is going on with my programming problem.
Attachments
IMG_1845.jpg
IMG_1845.jpg (67.99 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
IMG_1842.jpg
IMG_1842.jpg (67.91 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
IMG_1841.jpg
IMG_1841.jpg (56.58 KiB) Viewed 1256 times

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:51 am

The new plate has the same working area (~3") as the original, it's just shifted upwards from the base of the machine a bit ---- most folks make this up by adding a spoilboard.

In theory one could turn on soft limits to prevent one from running off the bottom, but in practice it seems to be more trouble than it's worth --- I suppose one could install some sort of stop, but it would reduce the working area and might catch on a clamp.

Can't help with Easel I'm afraid --- was invited to the initial beta, but didn't have a machine which could comfortably run it back then, and have never found it comfortable, and personally, actively mislike the idea of software in the "Cloud" (as opposed to installed locally).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

franazzo

Post by franazzo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:16 pm

WillAdams wrote:The new plate has the same working area (~3") as the original, it's just shifted upwards from the base of the machine a bit ---- most folks make this up by adding a spoilboard.

In theory one could turn on soft limits to prevent one from running off the bottom, but in practice it seems to be more trouble than it's worth --- I suppose one could install some sort of stop, but it would reduce the working area and might catch on a clamp.

Can't help with Easel I'm afraid --- was invited to the initial beta, but didn't have a machine which could comfortably run it back then, and have never found it comfortable, and personally, actively mislike the idea of software in the "Cloud" (as opposed to installed locally).
Thanks Will for your response.
The same working area (~3"), you mean the measurement between the lower and upper v- wheals?
My original plate is ~3", the new plate measures 3-3/4" from the lower to the upper wheals, like my 3 pictures shows ( 75mm and 95mm).

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:22 pm

Yes --- the 3" refers to workable envelope for the machine --- total travel is a bit more.

franazzo

Post by franazzo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:20 pm

WillAdams wrote:Yes --- the 3" refers to workable envelope for the machine --- total travel is a bit more.
Sorry Will, I don't get it , the old one is 3" the new plate is 3 3/4 ", (between the lower and upper v-wheels) to me the working area is not only shifted upwards it is also 3/4' different!
Please explain to me why there is a difference of 3/4" between the lower and upper v-wheels.
Thanks

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:53 pm

Because the new plate, being shorter, allows for that greater distance while still allowing the same or greater range of motion by virtue of its compactness.